Cooking Done Light

Cooking Done Light header image 2

Low Calorie Chocolate Chip Muffins

July 24th, 2007 · 33 Comments

chocolatechip.jpg

Out of all of the many, many muffin recipes that I have – these are John’s favorite. I truly can not tell you how very many times I have made these muffins (let’s just put it this way – I can whip up these muffins entirely from memory!)

This recipe has not been an easy creation, though. You see, unlike some other muffins which have a long list of ingredients that add lots of flavor to the batter, chocolate chips muffins rely ONLY on the batter for their flavor. And how do traditional chocolate chip muffins get that delicious flavor that we all love? Butter. Lots and lots of butter! Now I don’t mind a pat of butter added to a recipe here and there, but I would not use an entire stick of butter to make one recipe. So after multiple attempts, I finally came up with the desired “buttery” delicious flavor and texture – without using any fatty butter!! So here they are — healthy, figure friendly, and “John approved”!

1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 whole egg, plus one additional egg white

1 cup fat free plain or vanilla yogurt

2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 cup skim milk

1/3 cup light brown sugar or maple syrup

2 teaspoons vanilla

3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin tin with cooking spray (or use paper liners); set aside.

In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, yogurt, oil, milk, sugar (or maple syrup) and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until everything is just moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the muffin tin.

Makes 6 jumbo (or 12 standard) muffins. Per jumbo muffin: 263 calories, 4 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 31 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 4 g added sugar, 7 g protein, 127 mg sodium, 13 mg cholesterol.

Tags: Bakery · Breakfast and Brunch

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jennifer // Sep 7, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I love that you make Jumbo muffins, I’ve been losing weight week by week by eating these instead of the huge muffins at the bakery on my way to work which would be about 800 calories! Thanks so much, I love all of your recipes.

• 2 roland // Sep 30, 2007 at 10:26 am

love these muffins – followed the recipe exactly and they came out better than I thought! (Tasted good too!)

• 3 Rebecca // Oct 3, 2007 at 5:12 pm

I made these for my kids afterschool snack today. I thought they were very good. Will make again.

• 4 Thecpa // Nov 10, 2007 at 2:36 pm

We just made these last week. They are wonderful! Another very popular muffin at our house. Thanks for the recipe.

• 5 Jessica // Nov 13, 2007 at 12:17 am

Made these tonight- they are my fav so far out of all your muffin recipes! (Next on my to-bake list are the cinnamon roll muffins, I can’t wait!)

• 6 Darlene // Sep 20, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Just found your blog. The muffins look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

• 7 J // Oct 27, 2009 at 7:44 pm

These were very tasty. I will be cooking them again.

• 8 azzah // Dec 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm

OMG THESE ARE THE BEST MUFFINS I JUST TASTED IN MY LIFE!!!!! I just ate one out of the oven and felt guilty! No way these can be low fat! Im absolutely ecstatic I came upon your website, thank you soo much for posting these

• 9 Cory // Jun 29, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I am interested in trying these muffins but I can fing whole wheat pastry flour. Can I use whole wheat flour instead?

• 10 Shannon // Jul 1, 2010 at 7:31 am

Cory – you can use half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour. Using all whole wheat flour will the muffins WAY to dense and heavy.

• 11 Casey // Aug 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm

how many calories are in a single muffin? i’m going to try this recipe and from the comments here, the muffins seem like a hit!

• 12 Shannon // Aug 25, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Casey,
    Each jumbo muffin has 263 calories, a standard sized muffin would be half of that – so, about 130. Hope that helps!

• 13 NADIA // Sep 19, 2010 at 11:03 pm

CAN I USE OAT FOUR AS WELL AS THE PASTRY FLOUR INSTEAD OF THE ALL PURPOSE?

• 14 Shannon // Sep 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Nadia – Absolutely – you may have to add just a bit more liquid, but oat flour would work fine.

• 15 Becca // Sep 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I just made these muffins (with some light adjustments to fit what I had in the house) and they turned out so great! I love them!

• 16 Karen // Oct 19, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Thank you thank you. I made these on Monday night and what a hit with the family. Especially my 14 and 11 year old sons. Finally a snack that is low in calories and fat and taste delicious.
    I can now have my cake and eat it without feeling guilty.
    Now I’m off to find more of your recipes to try.

• 17 christine // Jul 28, 2011 at 1:22 am

Can I use buttermilk instead of yogurt? Thanks for posting!

• 18 Shannon // Jul 28, 2011 at 6:04 am

Christine –
    I’ve never tried buttermilk in place of the yogurt, but it should work just fine. You may need to add a pinch or two more dry ingredients to make sure that your batter is thick enough – but other than that, it should work beautifully.

• 19 Cynthia // Aug 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Would it be okay to use whole milk?

• 20 Shannon // Aug 28, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Cynthia – Sure, you can use whole milk!

• 21 Ilissa // Oct 31, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I was wondering if you could sub applesauce for the yogurt. My kids don’t like anything tangy.

• 22 Shannon // Nov 2, 2011 at 6:22 am

Ilissa – I’ve never tried subbing applesauce, but i don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You may want to add an extra tablespoon of flour, though, since the yogurt is slightly thicker. Let me know if it works out!

• 23 Ilissa // Nov 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Thanks Shannon. I think I will be trying this soon and will let you know how it turns out.

• 24 Ilissa // Nov 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Well I just made the muffins with the applesauce. My kids really liked them. I thought they were pretty good too. They were moist and not too sweet. I would probably like it to be sweeter but then they wouldn’t be healthy!Thanks for the recipe! Do you happen to have any recipes with canned pumpkin?

• 25 Debbie Petti // Feb 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

Could I substitute spenda for the sugar and fruit for the chocolate Chips?

• 26 Rebecca // Mar 31, 2012 at 7:10 am

using splenda in place of sugar can work but you have to half the quantiy of splenda. So if it calls for a cup of sugar, use a half a cup of splenda! works fine I use it all the time…

• 27 Sarie // May 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

These are my new fav! Nutritional info can’t be right though. How can a muffin have zero saturated fat when the semisweet chips have saturated fat in them? I used Nestlé.

• 28 Renee // May 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

so yummy! i only had one egg and accidentally used self raising flour (so i just omitted the baking powder but kept the baking soda). the texture was perfect and they taste great.
    my husband and pre-schooler both loved them too. i will make these again and again.
    thanks

• 29 Low Calorie Chocolate Chip Muffins « Living for the next meal // Jun 29, 2012 at 9:02 pm

[…] let’s talk muffins now. This is an amazingly good recipe that I found here. Low calorie and low fat, but yet the muffin is still delicious with lots of air bubbles, making it […]

• 30 Nimmie // Jun 29, 2012 at 11:25 pm

You must update your blog because you have major talent! Thank you so much for this recipe, I absolutely loved it. I linked it to my blog.

Thanks!!

• 31 Recent Eats and Treats | Hummusapien // Jul 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

[…] I wanted to make muffins and found this random recipe for chocolate chip muffins.  I used all whole-wheat pastry flour instead of using both white and whole-wheat like the recipe […]

• 32 I’m an Elf for Health | Miles for a Smile // Nov 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm

[…] They turned out much better, but weren’t quite as moist as I would have liked. I will try this recipe again though because it is a good one, and super […]

• 33 Karen R // Mar 17, 2013 at 11:06 pm

This was a very fun recipe, thanks so much! For anyone who is interested in trying it differently, this is what I did:

I used half whole grain flour and half whole wheat all purpose, and the muffins are still marvelous. I used about 1/3cup dark choc almond milk and 1/2 unsweetened soy milk instead of actual dairy. Also, for people who do not eat eggs you can sub one egg with 1 tbsp of flax seeds in water (place both in a pan, turn to low to med heat, let it simmer until it takes an egg-like consistency).

Again thank you for the recipe and the blog! :D