Low Calorie Chocolate Chip Muffins

chocolatechip.jpg

Out of all of the many, many muffin recipes that I have – these are John’s favorite. I truly can not tell you how very many times I have made these muffins (let’s just put it this way – I can whip up these muffins entirely from memory!)

This recipe has not been an easy creation, though. You see, unlike some other muffins which have a long list of ingredients that add lots of flavor to the batter, chocolate chips muffins rely ONLY on the batter for their flavor. And how do traditional chocolate chip muffins get that delicious flavor that we all love? Butter. Lots and lots of butter! Now I don’t mind a pat of butter added to a recipe here and there, but I would not use an entire stick of butter to make one recipe. So after multiple attempts, I finally came up with the desired “buttery” delicious flavor and texture – without using any fatty butter!! So here they are — healthy, figure friendly, and “John approved”!

1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 whole egg, plus one additional egg white

1 cup fat free plain or vanilla yogurt

2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 cup skim milk

1/3 cup light brown sugar or maple syrup

2 teaspoons vanilla

3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin tin with cooking spray (or use paper liners); set aside.

In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, yogurt, oil, milk, sugar (or maple syrup) and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until everything is just moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the muffin tin.

Makes 6 jumbo (or 12 standard) muffins. Per jumbo muffin: 263 calories, 4 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 31 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 4 g added sugar, 7 g protein, 127 mg sodium, 13 mg cholesterol.

1. Jennifer September 7, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I love that you make Jumbo muffins, I’ve been losing weight week by week by eating these instead of the huge muffins at the bakery on my way to work which would be about 800 calories! Thanks so much, I love all of your recipes.

2. roland September 30, 2007 at 10:26 am

love these muffins – followed the recipe exactly and they came out better than I thought! (Tasted good too!)

3. Rebecca October 3, 2007 at 5:12 pm

I made these for my kids afterschool snack today. I thought they were very good. Will make again.

4. Thecpa November 10, 2007 at 2:36 pm

We just made these last week. They are wonderful! Another very popular muffin at our house. Thanks for the recipe.

5. Jessica November 13, 2007 at 12:17 am

Made these tonight- they are my fav so far out of all your muffin recipes! (Next on my to-bake list are the cinnamon roll muffins, I can’t wait!)

6. Darlene September 20, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Just found your blog. The muffins look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

7. J October 27, 2009 at 7:44 pm

These were very tasty. I will be cooking them again.

8. azzah December 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm

OMG THESE ARE THE BEST MUFFINS I JUST TASTED IN MY LIFE!!!!! I just ate one out of the oven and felt guilty! No way these can be low fat! Im absolutely ecstatic I came upon your website, thank you soo much for posting these

9. Cory June 29, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I am interested in trying these muffins but I can fing whole wheat pastry flour. Can I use whole wheat flour instead?

10. Shannon July 1, 2010 at 7:31 am

Cory – you can use half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour. Using all whole wheat flour will the muffins WAY to dense and heavy.

11. Casey August 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm

how many calories are in a single muffin? i’m going to try this recipe and from the comments here, the muffins seem like a hit!

12. Shannon August 25, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Casey,
    Each jumbo muffin has 263 calories, a standard sized muffin would be half of that – so, about 130. Hope that helps!

13. NADIA September 19, 2010 at 11:03 pm

CAN I USE OAT FOUR AS WELL AS THE PASTRY FLOUR INSTEAD OF THE ALL PURPOSE?

14. Shannon September 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Nadia – Absolutely – you may have to add just a bit more liquid, but oat flour would work fine.

15. Becca September 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I just made these muffins (with some light adjustments to fit what I had in the house) and they turned out so great! I love them!

16. Karen October 19, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Thank you thank you. I made these on Monday night and what a hit with the family. Especially my 14 and 11 year old sons. Finally a snack that is low in calories and fat and taste delicious.
    I can now have my cake and eat it without feeling guilty.
    Now I’m off to find more of your recipes to try.

17. christine July 28, 2011 at 1:22 am

Can I use buttermilk instead of yogurt? Thanks for posting!

18. Shannon July 28, 2011 at 6:04 am

Christine –
    I’ve never tried buttermilk in place of the yogurt, but it should work just fine. You may need to add a pinch or two more dry ingredients to make sure that your batter is thick enough – but other than that, it should work beautifully.

19. Cynthia August 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Would it be okay to use whole milk?

20. Shannon August 28, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Cynthia – Sure, you can use whole milk!

21. Ilissa October 31, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I was wondering if you could sub applesauce for the yogurt. My kids don’t like anything tangy.

22. Shannon November 2, 2011 at 6:22 am

Ilissa – I’ve never tried subbing applesauce, but i don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You may want to add an extra tablespoon of flour, though, since the yogurt is slightly thicker. Let me know if it works out!

23. Ilissa November 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Thanks Shannon. I think I will be trying this soon and will let you know how it turns out.

24. Ilissa November 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Well I just made the muffins with the applesauce. My kids really liked them. I thought they were pretty good too. They were moist and not too sweet. I would probably like it to be sweeter but then they wouldn’t be healthy!Thanks for the recipe! Do you happen to have any recipes with canned pumpkin?

25. Debbie Petti February 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

Could I substitute spenda for the sugar and fruit for the chocolate Chips?

26. Rebecca March 31, 2012 at 7:10 am

using splenda in place of sugar can work but you have to half the quantiy of splenda. So if it calls for a cup of sugar, use a half a cup of splenda! works fine I use it all the time…

27. Sarie May 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

These are my new fav! Nutritional info can’t be right though. How can a muffin have zero saturated fat when the semisweet chips have saturated fat in them? I used NestlĂ©.

28. Renee May 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

so yummy! i only had one egg and accidentally used self raising flour (so i just omitted the baking powder but kept the baking soda). the texture was perfect and they taste great.
    my husband and pre-schooler both loved them too. i will make these again and again.
    thanks

29. Nimmie June 29, 2012 at 11:25 pm

You must update your blog because you have major talent! Thank you so much for this recipe, I absolutely loved it. I linked it to my blog.

Thanks!!

30. Karen R March 17, 2013 at 11:06 pm

This was a very fun recipe, thanks so much! For anyone who is interested in trying it differently, this is what I did:

I used half whole grain flour and half whole wheat all purpose, and the muffins are still marvelous. I used about 1/3cup dark choc almond milk and 1/2 unsweetened soy milk instead of actual dairy. Also, for people who do not eat eggs you can sub one egg with 1 tbsp of flax seeds in water (place both in a pan, turn to low to med heat, let it simmer until it takes an egg-like consistency).

Again thank you for the recipe and the blog! :D