Welcome, dear readers, to another mouthwatering recipe that will leave you wanting more. If you’re a fan of muffins but also mindful of your calorie intake, you’re in for a treat! These Low Fat Raspberry Streusel Muffins are an absolute delight, offering a burst of juicy raspberries in every bite. With a tender crumb and a buttery streusel topping, these muffins are a wholesome and satisfying choice for breakfast, brunch, or a delightful snack.
Low Fat Raspberry Streusel Muffins
- 1 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin pan
- 1 small bowl
- 1 large bowl
- 1 separate bowl
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set aside.Combine the milk, applesauce, oil, vanilla and egg whites in a large bowl and whisk together well. In a separate (smaller) bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing until just moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in the raspberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly over the tops. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean).
- Cool in the pan for at least 10-15 minutes.
To ensure your Low Fat Raspberry Streusel Muffins turn out perfectly every time, follow these handy cooking tips and insights. From essential tricks to common mistakes, this section will guide you towards baking success.
- Use Fresh Raspberries: Opt for plump and juicy raspberries for the best flavor and texture. If fresh raspberries are unavailable, you can use frozen ones, but make sure to thaw and pat them dry before incorporating them into the batter.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Overmixing can lead to dense muffins. A few lumps in the batter are perfectly fine.
- Streusel Topping Perfection: Prepare the streusel topping by incorporating cold butter into the dry ingredients. Use your fingertips or a pastry cutter to create a crumbly texture. Sprinkle generously over the muffin batter for that irresistible crunchy topping.
- Proper Baking Time and Temperature: Follow the recipe’s recommended baking time and temperature. Start checking for doneness a few minutes before the stated time by inserting a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, they’re ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Allow for Cooling Time: After baking, let the muffins cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. This allows them to set and prevents them from becoming too delicate and crumbling apart.
The Best Ways To Serve And Enjoy Low Fat Raspberry Streusel Muffins
Looking to take your Low Fat Raspberry Streusel Muffins to the next level? In this section, we’ll explore exciting serving suggestions that will enhance the flavors and presentation of this delightful treat. From recommended sides and garnishes to creative ways of serving, get ready to make your muffins shine!
- Serve with a Dollop of Whipped Cream and Fresh Berries:
Take your Raspberry Streusel Muffins to new heights by pairing them with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a handful of vibrant fresh berries. The creamy texture of the whipped cream complements the muffins’ tender crumb, while the burst of fresh berries adds a delightful pop of flavor.
- Accompany with a Warm Vanilla Sauce:
For an indulgent twist, drizzle your Raspberry Streusel Muffins with a warm vanilla sauce. The creamy and aromatic sauce creates a luscious combination with the muffins, adding a touch of elegance to your dessert. Simply prepare the sauce by heating milk, sugar, and vanilla extract in a saucepan until warm and pourable.
- Pair with a Cup of Hot Tea or Coffee:
Enjoy your Raspberry Streusel Muffins alongside a steaming cup of your favorite hot tea or coffee. The cozy warmth of the beverage complements the muffins’ comforting flavors, creating a delightful balance. Whether you prefer a fragrant herbal tea or a rich, bold coffee, this pairing is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
- Transform into a Breakfast Parfait:
Take your muffins from breakfast to brunch by transforming them into a delicious breakfast parfait. Crumble the muffins into layers of Greek yogurt and fresh berries in a glass or a bowl. Top it off with a sprinkle of granola or chopped nuts for added texture. This parfait not only looks impressive but also offers a refreshing and nutritious start to your day.
- Create a Dessert Sundae:
Indulge your sweet tooth by turning your Raspberry Streusel Muffins into a delightful dessert sundae. Slice the muffins in half and layer them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with your favorite syrup, sprinkle with crushed nuts or chocolate shavings, and add a cherry on top. This delightful creation will satisfy any dessert lover’s cravings.
Here are answers to some common questions about Low Fat Raspberry Streusel Muffins. From storage tips to ingredient substitutions, we’ve got you covered.
Can I freeze Low Fat Raspberry Streusel Muffins?
Absolutely! Once completely cooled, store the muffins in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw them at room temperature or reheat in the microwave or oven before enjoying.
Can I use other berries instead of raspberries?
Yes, you can easily swap raspberries for other berries like blueberries, strawberries, or a mix of your favorites. Adjust the quantity based on your preference and enjoy the variation in flavors.
How do I store leftover muffins?
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, refrigerate the muffins for up to a week. Reheat in the microwave for a few seconds before serving.
Can I substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend as a substitute for all-purpose flour. Keep in mind that the texture and taste of the muffins may vary slightly, so it’s recommended to use a gluten-free flour specifically designed for baking.
Can I make these muffins vegan?
Certainly! To make these muffins vegan-friendly, replace the eggs with flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water for each egg). Also, use plant-based milk and vegan butter or coconut oil in the streusel topping. Enjoy the deliciousness while adhering to your dietary preferences!
Experience the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors with our Low Fat Raspberry Streusel Muffins. These moist and tender treats are packed with juicy raspberries and topped with a satisfying streusel crumb. Indulge in guilt-free pleasure as you savor each bite. Don’t forget to share the recipe and subscribe to our blog to stay updated on more mouthwatering recipes!