Picture this: a plate filled with colorful ingredients, the aroma of basil lingering in the air, and the satisfaction of a light yet satisfying meal. That’s what awaits you with my Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad. In this recipe, we’ll combine the classic flavors of bruschetta with tender grilled chicken, resulting in a salad that’s bursting with freshness and taste. Join me as we embark on a culinary adventure and learn how to create this delightful dish that will leave you feeling nourished and fulfilled.
Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad
- 1 glass baking dish
- 1 wide shallow bowl
- 1 separate bowl
- 4 plates
- 1 medium sized bowl
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (trimmed)
- 3 egg whites
- ⅓ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup light parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bag each baby arugula, and baby spinach
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, diced fairly small (I use plum tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot(or 1/2 of a small red onion), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced (or pressed)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil
- ½ cup shredded low fat asiago cheese
- Whole wheat or multi-grain baguette
For the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. In a wide, shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites.
- Using a meat tenderizer, or other heavy object, place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4 in thickness. Cut each chicken breast into strips, and dip each strip into egg whites, then coat well with the bread crumb mixture.
- Arrange chicken strips in the baking dish and drizzle the tops with the teaspoon of olive oil (you could lightly spray the tops with olive oil cooking spray instead if you wish to omit the oil). Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
For the Bruschetta Salad:
- While the chicken bakes, divide both bags of greens evenly between 4 plates. In a medium sized bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, shallot, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and basil and mix well (you can prepare this tomato mixture up to a day in advance and keep it covered in the fridge until ready to use). Divide this mixture evenly between the 4 plates, spooning it directly over the salad greens.
- When the chicken is done, divide the strips between the four plates, placing it in the center of each plate. Finish by sprinkling the top of each dish with the shredded asiago cheese. Serve with the whole wheat bread on the side.
Mastering the art of preparing the perfect Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad requires a few handy cooking tips and tricks. Let me share my insights to help you achieve the best results and avoid common mistakes.
- Marinating Magic: To infuse the chicken with maximum flavor, marinate it for at least 30 minutes before grilling. The marinade can be as simple as a blend of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and herbs. This step ensures tender and flavorful chicken that perfectly complements the vibrant bruschetta topping.
- Grill to Perfection: When grilling the chicken, preheat the grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grates to prevent sticking. Cook the chicken for about 6-8 minutes per side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C). Remember to let it rest for a few minutes before slicing to retain its juiciness.
- Freshness Matters: Opt for the ripest, juiciest tomatoes you can find for the bruschetta topping. Cherry tomatoes or vine-ripened tomatoes work beautifully in this recipe. Additionally, choose fragrant basil leaves and high-quality extra virgin olive oil to enhance the overall flavor profile of the salad.
- Toasted Bread Brilliance: For an extra crunch and texture, consider toasting the bread slices before assembling the salad. You can brush the bread with olive oil and toast it on a grill or in a toaster until golden brown. This adds a delightful element to the dish.
Serving Your Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad
Now that you’ve perfected your Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad, let’s explore some exciting ways to serve and elevate this flavorful dish.
- Complementary Delights: Pair your salad with a side of crusty garlic bread or a slice of toasted baguette. The bread acts as a canvas for scooping up the juicy bruschetta topping and chicken, creating a harmonious combination of flavors and textures.
- Fresh Greens Galore: For a more substantial meal, serve the Bruschetta Chicken Salad over a bed of mixed greens or arugula. The crispness of the greens adds an extra layer of freshness and provides a beautiful contrast to the savory chicken and bruschetta.
- Beverage Bliss: Quench your thirst with a refreshing beverage that complements the flavors of the salad. Try a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc or a sparkling lemonade infused with fresh mint leaves. These choices will enhance the overall dining experience.
- Beautiful Bowls: Present your salad in individual serving bowls or on a large platter for a family-style gathering. Garnish it with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, or some additional basil leaves to make it visually appealing and even more tempting.
As a food blogger, I’ve received many questions about the Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad. Let’s address some of the most common ones to ensure you have all the information you need to enjoy this delightful dish.
Can I make Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare the bruschetta topping and marinate the chicken in advance. Keep them refrigerated separately until you’re ready to assemble the salad. This way, you can save time and effortlessly create a fresh and satisfying meal.
How long can I store leftovers of Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad?
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The salad will stay fresh for up to 2 days. However, it’s best to consume it within 24 hours for optimal flavor and texture.
Can I use a different protein instead of chicken?
Certainly! If you prefer a different protein, such as grilled shrimp or tofu, feel free to substitute it in this recipe. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the protein is cooked through.
Can I make this salad vegetarian?
Absolutely! You can omit the chicken altogether and focus on the vibrant bruschetta topping. The combination of tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil creates a delicious vegetarian salad that’s bursting with flavors.
Can I add other vegetables to the bruschetta topping?
Certainly! While the classic bruschetta topping includes tomatoes, you can get creative and add other vegetables such as diced cucumbers, bell peppers, or red onions. Just make sure to maintain a balance of flavors and textures.
This Low Calorie Bruschetta Chicken Salad recipe is a flavor-packed delight that will satisfy your cravings while keeping your waistline in check. Join me in the kitchen as we whip up this refreshing salad and don’t forget to share the recipe with your friends and subscribe to my blog for more culinary inspiration.