Are you in the mood for a hearty and satisfying dish? Join me on a culinary journey as we explore the world of Steak with Veggies. In this recipe, we’ll uncover the techniques and flavors that make this dish a standout. From seasoning the steak to achieving the ideal level of doneness, I’ll guide you every step of the way.
Steak with Veggies
- 1 large skillet
- 1 plate
- 4 New York strip, or sirloin steaks (8 ounces each)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 package frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 1 pound red bliss or new potatoes (cut into fairly small chunks or strips)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped (or 1 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- Season the steaks with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks to the skillet (if your skillet is not large enough, don’t overcrowd it, just cook the steaks in two batches).
- Cook the steaks about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare ( longer if you like your steak more well done). Transfer the steaks to a plate and cover them loosely with foil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low; add the potatoes to the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes, then add the broccoli and corn and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season the vegetables with the tarragon and the remaining salt and pepper. Serve alongside the steaks.
When it comes to preparing an exquisite Steak with Veggies, a few expert cooking tips can make all the difference. Allow me to share some valuable insights to ensure the best results and help you avoid common mistakes.
- Achieving the Perfect Sear: To create a flavorful crust on your steak, make sure it’s dry before grilling. Pat it dry with a paper towel and allow it to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. This will help prevent steaming and promote a beautiful sear.
- Seasoning Savvy: Don’t skimp on seasoning! Generously season your steak with salt and pepper, or your preferred steak rub, just before grilling. The flavors will infuse into the meat, enhancing its taste.
- Let it Rest: Once your steak is cooked to perfection, resist the urge to slice into it immediately. Let it rest for about 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. This will result in a tender and juicy steak.
- Roasting Veggies: When roasting the vegetables, ensure they are evenly cut for uniform cooking. Toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then spread them out on a baking sheet in a single layer. This will help them cook evenly and develop a delicious caramelized flavor.
- Temperature Matters: Invest in a meat thermometer to accurately gauge the doneness of your steak. For medium-rare, aim for an internal temperature of 135°F (57°C), while medium is around 145°F (63°C). Remember, carryover cooking will cause the temperature to rise a few degrees even after removing the steak from the heat.
Serving & Storing Your Steak with Veggies
Now that your Steak with Veggies is ready to impress, let’s explore some fantastic serving suggestions to elevate your dining experience.
- Complementary Sides and Garnishes: Pair your Steak with Veggies with roasted garlic mashed potatoes or a creamy risotto for a luxurious meal. Enhance the flavors further with a side of sautéed mushrooms or a tangy chimichurri sauce. Garnish with fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme to add a touch of elegance.
- Creative Plating: For an eye-catching presentation, thinly slice the steak and arrange it over a bed of mixed greens or baby spinach. Drizzle with a balsamic reduction or a zesty vinaigrette for a burst of flavor. Top it off with shaved Parmesan cheese or toasted pine nuts for added texture.
- Steak Tacos or Wraps: Transform your leftovers into a delectable meal by using the sliced steak as a filling for tacos or wraps. Add some sliced avocado, crisp lettuce, and a dollop of sour cream for a delightful handheld option.
- Steak Salad: Slice the steak and serve it over a bed of fresh greens, such as arugula or romaine lettuce. Toss in some cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle with a lemon-herb dressing for a refreshing and light meal.
- Surf and Turf: Take your Steak with Veggies to new heights by pairing it with some grilled shrimp or a buttery lobster tail. This surf and turf combination adds a touch of indulgence to your meal and creates a memorable dining experience.
How should I store any leftover Steak with Veggies?
Place the leftovers of Steak with Veggies in an airtight container and refrigerate them promptly. They can be stored for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, gently warm the steak and veggies in a skillet over medium heat or in the microwave, being careful not to overcook them.
Can I use different vegetables for this recipe?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different vegetables based on your preference or what’s in season. Some great options include asparagus, cherry tomatoes, or even grilled eggplant. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly for each vegetable.
What’s the best way to achieve the desired level of doneness for the steak?
Using a meat thermometer is the most accurate way to determine the doneness of your steak. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the steak for an accurate reading. Refer to a temperature guide for your preferred level of doneness.
Can I marinate the steak before grilling?
Certainly! Marinating the steak can add additional flavor and tenderness. Prepare a marinade with ingredients like soy sauce, garlic, herbs, and olive oil. Place the steak in a resealable bag with the marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight for maximum flavor infusion.
Can I grill the steak indoors if I don’t have an outdoor grill?
Absolutely! You can achieve great results by using a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet on your stovetop. Preheat the pan over medium-high heat and follow the same cooking instructions as for an outdoor grill. Make sure to open windows or turn on ventilation to prevent smoke buildup.
Join me on a culinary adventure with this mouthwatering recipe for Steak with Veggies. From expert cooking tips to serving suggestions, this blog post has it all. Don’t forget to share this delightful recipe with your friends and subscribe to my blog for more delicious culinary creations!