Calling all coffee and cake lovers! Today, I have a treat in store for you – an exquisite Raspberry Coffee Cake recipe that will leave you craving for more. With its delicate crumb, tangy bursts of raspberry, and a hint of warm spices, this cake is a true indulgence. Get your baking tools ready, because we’re about to create magic in the kitchen!
Raspberry Coffee Cake
- 1 8″ round baking pan
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 fork
- 1 small bowl
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder (I know this seems like a lot!)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (blueberries or blackberries work nicely, too)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8″ round baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Using a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the milk, egg, orange rind, and vanilla - stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Spoon or pour half of the batter into the baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the raspberries with the orange juice and spoon the mixture evenly over top of the batter in the pan. Carefully pour the remaining batter on top of the berries.
- Bake until the coffee cake slightly begins to “shrink” from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 25 minutes).
Mastering the art of baking a perfect Raspberry Coffee Cake requires a few handy tips and tricks. Let me share my culinary wisdom to ensure that your baking journey is smooth and successful. From ingredient selection to baking techniques, these insights will help you achieve the best results and avoid common pitfalls.
- Ingredient Selection: Use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor and texture. Opt for fresh raspberries, preferably organic, to enhance the natural sweetness of the cake. Additionally, choose fresh, aromatic coffee grounds to infuse the cake with a delightful coffee flavor.
- Proper Mixing: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, be careful not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can lead to a dense and tough cake. Mix until the ingredients are just incorporated, ensuring a tender and fluffy texture.
- Baking Time and Temperature: Follow the recipe instructions for the recommended baking time and temperature. Keep a close eye on the cake towards the end of the baking time to prevent over or undercooking. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out with a few moist crumbs, indicating that the cake is perfectly baked.
- Cooling and Storage: Allow the Raspberry Coffee Cake to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. This helps the cake settle and retain its moisture. Once cooled, store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerate for longer shelf life.
The Best Ways To Serve And Enjoy Raspberry Coffee Cake
Now that you’ve baked a mouthwatering Raspberry Coffee Cake, it’s time to explore the delightful serving possibilities. From accompanying sides and garnishes to creative plating ideas, these serving suggestions will elevate your culinary presentation and enhance your dining experience.
- Accompanying Sides: Pair your Raspberry Coffee Cake with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a luscious and indulgent treat. The creamy textures and subtle sweetness complement the flavors of the cake beautifully.
- Creative Garnishes: Sprinkle some powdered sugar or cocoa powder on top of the cake for an elegant finishing touch. You can also garnish with a few fresh raspberries or a drizzle of raspberry sauce to add a pop of color and enhance the fruity essence.
- Beverage Pairings: Serve the Raspberry Coffee Cake alongside a piping hot cup of freshly brewed coffee or a fragrant herbal tea. The warm and comforting flavors of these beverages harmonize with the rich taste of the cake, creating a delightful combination.
- Versatile Serving Options: Get creative with how you serve the Raspberry Coffee Cake. Cut it into elegant slices and arrange them on a platter for a formal gathering. Alternatively, present it in individual servings for a more intimate and personalized experience.
As you embark on your Raspberry Coffee Cake baking adventure, it’s natural to have a few questions. I’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions to address any uncertainties you may have. Read on for answers and handy tips to ensure a seamless baking experience.
How long can I store leftover Raspberry Coffee Cake?
Answer: You can store leftover Raspberry Coffee Cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer shelf life, refrigerate the cake and consume within 4-5 days.
Can I use frozen raspberries instead of fresh ones?
Answer: Yes, you can use frozen raspberries in this recipe. Thaw them before incorporating them into the batter and pat them dry to remove excess moisture. This will help maintain the desired texture of the cake.
Can I make Raspberry Coffee Cake in advance?
Answer: Absolutely! Raspberry Coffee Cake can be prepared in advance. Once baked and cooled, store it in an airtight container at room temperature. Slice and serve as needed. It’s a convenient option for busy mornings or when hosting guests.
Can I substitute coffee with another ingredient?
Answer: While coffee adds a unique depth of flavor to the cake, you can experiment with alternatives. If you prefer a non-coffee version, substitute it with an equal amount of milk or a flavored liquid like almond or coconut milk.
Can I freeze Raspberry Coffee Cake?
Answer: Yes, you can freeze this Cake. Wrap individual slices tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying. Properly stored, it will keep well for up to 3 months.
Dive into the world of flavors with my Raspberry Coffee Cake recipe. Get ready for a moist and tender cake infused with the tangy sweetness of raspberries. Discover cooking tips, serving ideas, and answers to common FAQs. Don’t keep this mouthwatering recipe to yourself – share it and subscribe to my blog for more culinary inspiration!