Cooking Done Light

Cooking Done Light header image 2

Regarding Whole Wheat Pastry Flour….

October 20th, 2007 · 16 Comments

flour.jpg

I have had quite a few questions regarding whole wheat pastry flour, whole wheat flour, and all purpose flour. I hope that this answers some of your questions.

You can substitute all purpose flour in place of the whole wheat with the same results, and the calorie count will stay pretty much the same. Most flours vary only slightly by brand, and usually contain between 100 and 115 calories per 1/4 cup, regardless of whether they are white or wheat. The only reason that I use whole wheat flour when baking is because I find it lends a very nice flavor to the baked goods, as well as containing many added benefits that white flour does not provide (white flour is basically just “bulk” – it does not offer any nutritional value at all). Whole grains, on the other hand, add fiber, vitamins, minerals and heart-healthy compounds. But there is a big difference between the whole wheat pastry flour and the regular whole wheat flour. The regular whole wheat flour will make your baked goods much more dense, heavy and “chewy” (not what you want in a light, fluffy baked good). If you are having a hard time finding whole wheat pastry flour, there are few things that you can try. First, you can put the regular whole wheat flour in a blender or food processor for just a few seconds to make it a less coarse, “finer” grain. If that is too much of a hassle, you can just swap the quantities on the all purpose and the whole wheat – for example, if it calls for 1 cup WW pastry flour and 1/2 cup all purpose, use 1 cup all purpose flour, and 1/2 cup regular whole wheat flour.

Tags: Non-recipe posts

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Crystal // Oct 20, 2007 at 9:31 am

Hey Shannon,
    I tried the blender trick with whole wheat flour and I still found out that my muffins in particular would come out a bit dense anyway. My boyfriend complained that all the muffins had a “wheat” taste to them, which I liked, but he would rather have something akin to bakery muffins. So I switched to white flour and now my muffins are much lighter.

But I am interested in trying “if [the recipe] calls for 1 cup WW pastry flour and 1/2 cup all purpose, use 1 cup all purpose flour, and 1/2 cup regular whole wheat flour” since I don’t want to be eating just “bulk.” Will this still have a heavy “wheat” taste to it?

Thanks!

• 2 TheMuffinMan // Oct 21, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Hey Crystal, my muffins are made by Shannon for me using these recipes and in my opinion they taste as good as the bakery but even better because they are lower in calories and generally better for me. I have never experienced the heavy wheat taste with the muffins. My only experience with whole wheat flour is with making pizza. I used to always make my pizza dough with white bread flour but Shannon prefers to use whole wheat for the benefits it provides. I tried making pizza dough with 100% whole wheat flour and it was a disaster. I tried again with a 50/50 mix of white and whole wheat flour and I couldn’t tell the difference between the whole wheat pizza dough and pizza dough I made with white bread flour.

• 3 Crystal // Oct 22, 2007 at 8:51 am

I think I really need to find this “whole wheat pastry flour” or perhaps my blender just isn’t doing the trick. I think I will have a look around the bulk food store.

Thanks MuffinMan! :) I never wanted to completely stop using WW flour… it’s just that my boyfriend doesn’t seem to like the taste of it so much anymore. I’ll see if the pastry flour makes any difference.

ps. I’m jealous that you get muffins made for you! :P

• 4 Thecpa // Oct 22, 2007 at 4:11 pm

We have made muffin recipes from Cooking Done Light according to the split of whole wheat and all purpose white flours specified in each recipe. We did not have the whole wheat pastry flour so we used the regular whole wheat flour. We like the results. Today we baked apple cider and apple pie muffins and split the flours 50/50 whole wheat and all purpose flours based on the total flour in each recipe. The muffins were much lighter and came out every bit as good as the higher ratio of whole wheat to all purpose flours. However, we like the muffins with more fiber and bulk. It’s just a matter of taste.

Thanks for all the information on whole wheat pastry flour.

• 5 Thecpa // Oct 22, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Muffin Man
    Care to share the pizza dough recipe?

• 6 Marc // Oct 30, 2007 at 3:15 pm

has anyone made bread dough from whole wheat pastry flour?? pls email me TY

• 7 Alissa // Nov 8, 2008 at 8:16 pm

I have quite a bit of WW Pastry Flour, how can I use it? Can I replace all purpose flour with WW Pastry flour?

Thanks, alissa

• 8 baila // Sep 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm

hey, does anyone know if whole wheat pastry flour is the same as white whole wheat? btw, i found ww pastry flour at whole foods.

• 9 Theresa // Nov 7, 2010 at 11:45 am

On the subject of switching the amt., what if you are to use equal amt of both flours?

• 10 Shannon // Nov 8, 2010 at 6:44 am

Theresa, I have tried using an equal amount of each, and the result is always is always much more “dense.” Depending on what I’m making, I sometimes don’t mind the texture change (slightly more dense muffins, for example, do not bother me. A dense cake, however, is not always preferable!) If you are typically a “healthier eater” you may actually prefer the half and half proportions – but if you are making something like a child’s birthday cake, I would definitely stick to what will give you the “lightest” result. Hope that helps!

• 11 unkown // Nov 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Your so stupid marc search it up!
    making us do all the work
    ur of topic

• 12 Shivani // Jun 10, 2012 at 7:41 am

I was thinking that instead of whole wheat flour, maybe the “atta” flour found in indian grocery stores can do the trick.. its pure whole wheat flour but very very light…

• 13 NajeemaIman // Jan 10, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Thank you so much for clarifying, this is the only direct answer I was able to find….

• 14 pancakes with whole-grains & buttermilk | Diary of a Crazed Cook // Apr 2, 2013 at 7:38 pm

[...] this point in time, white flour has some serious competition in the whole-grain flours department, and for me, whole-grain pastry flour is the king of the heap. Whole-grain/wheat pastry [...]

• 15 http://coffeepurecleansereview.com // May 6, 2013 at 9:01 am

Hi! I’ve been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the good job!

• 16 rachel // Jun 13, 2013 at 11:33 am

I was wanting to make chewy oatmeal cookies and have heard to use whole wheat pastry flour.
    I have never used this flour before and im wanting to try this. My question to you is, how will this flour work together with rolled oatmeal?