Prepare to embark on a flavor-packed journey that will awaken your taste buds and transport you to breakfast bliss. Today, I’m sharing with you my beloved Donut Muffins recipe. These little gems are the epitome of perfection—a delightful fusion of fluffy muffins and the irresistible charm of donuts. Join me in the kitchen as we uncover the secrets to creating these heavenly treats that will have you coming back for seconds, thirds, and beyond.
- 6 cup jumbo muffin tin (or 12 cup standard)
- 1 small bowl
- 1 large bowl
- 1 separate bowl
- 1 toothpick
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously spray a 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray (or use paper liners); set aside.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon well in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon; stir until well combined
- In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, milk, maple syrup, oil and lemon juice and whisk together well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until until everything is just combined and moist.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups and sprinkle the top of each with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the pan.
Alternative Method: Air Fryer
If you’re looking to try a different approach to baking Donut Muffins, why not give your trusty air fryer a chance to shine? This method offers a quicker cooking time and a slightly different texture, while still delivering the delightful flavors you crave. Here’s how to make Air Fryer Donut Muffins:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Optional glaze and toppings
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes.
- Lightly coat the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the greased air fryer basket, filling each cavity about two-thirds full.
- Place the basket in the preheated air fryer and cook the muffins for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the muffins from the air fryer and let them cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, prepare a glaze of your choice and drizzle it over the cooled muffins. Add any additional toppings, such as sprinkles or crushed nuts.
- Serve the Air Fryer Donut Muffins immediately or store them in an airtight container for later enjoyment.
By using the air fryer, you’ll achieve a slightly crisp exterior while maintaining a soft and fluffy interior. This alternative method adds a fun twist to the traditional baking process, allowing you to enjoy your favorite Donut Muffins in a new and exciting way.
Mastering the art of creating perfect Donut Muffins requires a little insider knowledge and finesse. In this section, I’ll share essential cooking tips and tricks to ensure your baking endeavors yield sensational results. Get ready to elevate your skills and create donut muffins that will leave everyone craving for more.
- Achieving Fluffy Perfection:
To achieve irresistibly light and fluffy Donut Muffins, make sure not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can result in a dense texture. Gently fold the ingredients together until just combined for the best results.
- The Right Temperature:
Ensure your ingredients, especially eggs and butter, are at room temperature before starting. This helps in achieving better incorporation and a smoother batter. Cold ingredients may result in an uneven texture.
- Don’t Overbake:
To keep your Donut Muffins moist and tender, be cautious not to overbake them. Start checking for doneness a few minutes before the recommended baking time. The muffins are ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
The Best Ways To Serve And Enjoy Donut Muffins
Now that you’ve mastered the art of creating delectable Donut Muffins, it’s time to explore the wonderful world of serving suggestions. Here, I’ll provide you with a variety of ideas to enhance your dining experience and elevate these delightful treats to new heights.
- Perfect Pairings:
Pair your Donut Muffins with a piping hot cup of coffee or tea to enjoy a blissful morning ritual. The warm, comforting flavors of the muffins beautifully complement the aromatic beverages, creating a match made in heaven.
- Scrumptious Sides:
To add more depth to your serving, consider serving Donut Muffins alongside a bowl of fresh seasonal fruits or a dollop of flavored yogurt. The contrasting textures and flavors will create a delightful balance and make your breakfast or brunch spread more enticing.
- Glazing Glory:
Take the indulgence factor up a notch by drizzling your Donut Muffins with a homemade glaze. Whether it’s a classic vanilla glaze, a rich chocolate ganache, or a zesty citrus icing, the glaze adds a touch of decadence and enhances the overall flavor profile.
Aspiring bakers often have questions about Donut Muffins and how to make the most out of this delightful recipe. Here, I’ll address some common queries to help you navigate any uncertainties and ensure a seamless baking experience.
Can I store the leftover Donut Muffins?
Yes! Store any leftover Donut Muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. If you want to enjoy them for longer, you can freeze them for up to 3 months. Before serving, allow them to thaw at room temperature or warm them briefly in the oven.
Can I make Donut Muffins ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare the batter for Donut Muffins ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight. When you’re ready to bake, simply fill the muffin cups and proceed with the recipe as directed. This time-saving trick allows you to enjoy freshly baked muffins without the morning rush.
Can I make these muffins gluten-free?
Yes, you can! Substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend of your choice. Keep in mind that the texture might differ slightly, but the flavors will still be delightful.
How do I prevent my Donut Muffins from sticking to the pan?
To prevent sticking, make sure to generously grease the muffin pan with butter or cooking spray before filling it with the batter. Alternatively, you can use parchment paper liners to ensure easy removal.
Can I add different toppings to my Donut Muffins?
Absolutely! Get creative with toppings like crushed nuts, sprinkles, or even a dusting of powdered sugar. Just make sure to add them before the glaze sets to ensure they adhere properly.
Discover the delectable world of Donut Muffins with our irresistible recipe! Learn expert tips and tricks, explore serving suggestions, and find out how to make these heavenly treats in an air fryer. Don’t miss out on the chance to share this mouthwatering recipe with your friends and subscribe to our blog for more culinary delights.