There’s no need to stop at the drive thru or local take out place to give your kids (or yourself) those yummy, crispy chicken strips that we all love. You can make them at home — without fatty batter or greasy frying oil. The secret to getting that crispy texture is in the breading – and Japanese-style bread crumbs (called “panko”) or crushed cornflake cereal do the job beautifully!
These Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce are a great lunch or dinner menu item. When I serve them for dinner, I usually present them with a variety of different dipping sauces (BBQ, low-fat ranch, ketchup, sesame-ginger and peanut) so that everyone can have their favorite. Add some homemade low fat coleslaw, oven baked French fries, or fresh corn on the cob, and you’ll have a fast and easy, delicious summer meal that the whole family will love.
Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1 shallow dish
- 1 sealed plastic bag
- 1 small bowl
- 1¼ pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- ½ cup lowfat buttermilk
- 4 cups whole wheat panko (or you could substitute crushed cornflake cereal – crush first, then measure out 4 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
For the Honey Mustard Sauce:
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fat free mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine the chicken and buttermilk in a shallow dish, then cover the dish and sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Put the cereal in a sealed plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Transfer the crumbs to a shallow dish. Season the chicken with the salt and a few grinds of pepper. Dip each piece of chicken in the cereal to fully coat and arrange on the baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Leave the chicken on the baking sheet to cool slightly. It will become crispier.
- Serve with the mustard sauce.
For the Honey Mustard Sauce:
- In a small bowl, stir together the mustard and mayonnaise until smooth, then stir in the honey and serve at room temperature.
Alternative Method: Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a healthier cooking method without compromising on the crispy texture, an air fryer is the perfect appliance to use. Here’s how you can make Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce using an air fryer:
- 1 pound (450g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (120g) breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
For the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup (60g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for about 5 minutes.
- In three separate bowls, prepare your coating stations. In the first bowl, place the flour. In the second bowl, beat the eggs. In the third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Dip each chicken strip into the flour, shaking off any excess. Then, dip it into the beaten eggs, ensuring it’s fully coated. Finally, coat the chicken strip with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere the coating.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Place the coated chicken strips in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving space between each piece for proper air circulation.
- Cook the chicken strips in the air fryer for 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning.
- While the chicken strips are cooking, prepare the honey mustard dipping sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, honey, and lemon juice until smooth and well combined.
- Once the chicken strips are cooked, transfer them to a serving plate and serve alongside the honey mustard dipping sauce.
The air fryer method yields incredibly crispy chicken strips with a golden exterior and juicy interior. You’ll enjoy the added benefit of using less oil compared to traditional frying methods. Serve these delightful Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce as a main course, appetizer, or even in wraps and salads for a delicious meal.
Note: Cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken strips, so always check for doneness. Adjust the cooking time accordingly if needed.
To ensure your Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce turn out perfectly every time, here are some valuable cooking tips and insights:
- Achieving the Perfect Crunch: For an extra crispy coating, make sure the oil is heated to the right temperature before frying. Use a kitchen thermometer to maintain a temperature of around 350°F (175°C). This will result in a golden and crunchy exterior while keeping the chicken moist and tender inside.
- The Power of Marination: For an even more flavorful experience, marinate the chicken strips in buttermilk or a mixture of yogurt and spices for at least 30 minutes (or overnight). This not only adds delicious tanginess but also helps tenderize the meat, resulting in juicy and succulent chicken strips.
- Coating Technique: When coating the chicken strips, use one hand for the wet ingredients (like the egg wash) and the other hand for the dry ingredients (flour and breadcrumbs). This will prevent clumpy fingers and ensure an even coating on each strip.
- Oil Selection: Opt for oils with high smoke points, such as vegetable or canola oil, for frying. These oils can withstand high temperatures without burning, giving your chicken strips a crisp texture without any unpleasant flavor.
- Drain and Rest: After frying, place the cooked chicken strips on a wire rack or paper towels to allow any excess oil to drain. This will help maintain their crispiness. Let them rest for a few minutes before serving to ensure the flavors have fully developed.
To elevate your Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce experience, here are some recommendations and creative ways to serve this delectable dish:
- Classic Combo: Serve the Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce alongside a generous portion of shoestring fries or crispy sweet potato wedges. This timeless pairing offers the perfect combination of flavors and textures.
- Fresh and Zesty: Create a refreshing side by serving the chicken strips with a vibrant mixed green salad dressed with lemon vinaigrette. The crispness of the chicken complements the freshness of the salad beautifully.
- Sliders with a Twist: Transform the chicken strips into mouthwatering sliders by placing them between mini brioche buns. Top them with crunchy lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and a dollop of the honey mustard sauce for an irresistible bite-sized treat.
- Asian Fusion: Add an Asian twist by serving the chicken strips over a bed of steamed jasmine rice. Drizzle them with a teriyaki glaze and garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds for an explosion of flavors.
- Wrap it Up: Wrap the chicken strips in warm tortillas, along with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a drizzle of the honey mustard sauce. This creates a delicious handheld meal that’s perfect for lunch or a casual dinner.
FAQs about Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
How do I store any leftover Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce?
Place the cooled leftover chicken strips in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To reheat, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. This will help maintain their crispness.
Can I use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Absolutely! Boneless chicken thighs work well for this recipe too. They have a slightly higher fat content, which adds extra flavor and juiciness to the chicken strips.
Can I make the honey mustard sauce in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the honey mustard sauce ahead of time. Simply store it in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Give it a good stir before serving.
Can I freeze the uncooked chicken strips?
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked chicken strips for future use. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container and label them with the date. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator before cooking as directed in the recipe.
Crispy, golden Light Crispy Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce are a match made in heaven. Learn how to create this crowd-pleasing dish in just a few simple steps. Share the recipe and join our blog community to stay updated with more delectable recipes.