These delicious treats were actually a result of a mistake in the kitchen (Hey! It happens!!). Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins a little sweeter than a traditional muffin, and just a little less sweet than a cupcake. They are, without a doubt, one of the best “mistakes” that I have ever made! If you bake them in a standard (12-cup) muffin tin, they have only 62 calories a piece!! So even if you decide to make them in a jumbo (6-cup) muffin tin, they will still only have a modest 124 calories each.
Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins
- 12 cups standard muffin pan
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 electric mixer
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces vanilla fat-free yogurt
- 3 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package frozen (or jarred) pitted, unsweetened dark sweet cherries, thawed and drained (keep 12 cherries aside for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously grease a 12-cup standard muffin pan with cooking spray (or line with baking cups) and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in medium bowl and mix well, then stir in the yogurt and almond extract.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter until just blended. Gently fold in the cherries and divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until tops are puffy and edges are set – the centers will still be slightly “moist” when you remove them from the oven, but they will firm up while cooling.
- If you plan on having the “muffin” version serve as is (once cooled). For the cupcake version, frost with fat free icing or whipped topping and garnish with a cherry (or any other decorative topping you would like).
Alternative Method: Instant Pot
If you’re looking for a quick and convenient way to make Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins, the Instant Pot is your best friend. Here’s how you can whip up these delectable treats using this versatile kitchen appliance:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped cherries
- Optional: dark chocolate chips for added indulgence
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, applesauce, yogurt, almond milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Fold in the chopped cherries and dark chocolate chips (if using), distributing them evenly throughout the batter.
- Grease a silicone cupcake mold or use silicone cupcake liners. Fill each compartment with the batter, leaving a little space for expansion.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot and place the trivet inside. Carefully place the cupcake mold on the trivet.
- Close the Instant Pot lid, ensuring the valve is set to the sealing position. Select the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” mode and set the timer for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick pressure release by carefully turning the valve to the venting position.
- Open the Instant Pot lid and use a toothpick to check for doneness. The toothpick should come out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Carefully remove the cupcake-muffins from the Instant Pot and let them cool in the mold for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the Instant Pot Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins as is or garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar or a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
Note: Cooking times may vary slightly depending on the model and size of your Instant Pot. It’s always recommended to consult your Instant Pot’s user manual for specific instructions and safety guidelines.
With the Instant Pot, you can enjoy these moist and flavorful cupcake-muffins in no time. It’s a fantastic alternative method that saves time and delivers equally delicious results.
To ensure the best results and avoid common mistakes, here are some valuable cooking tips for preparing your Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins:
- Use high-quality ingredients: Opt for good quality cocoa powder, fresh cherries, and dark chocolate to enhance the flavor profile of your cupcake-muffins.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Mix the ingredients until just combined. Overmixing can lead to dense and tough cupcakes. A few lumps in the batter are perfectly fine.
- Properly measure the flour: Spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off with a flat edge. This will prevent the cupcakes from becoming too dry or dense.
- Fold in cherries gently: When incorporating the cherries into the batter, fold them in gently to avoid crushing them. This will ensure juicy bursts of cherry in every bite.
- Test for doneness: Insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake-muffin. If it comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, they are ready. Avoid overbaking, as it can result in a dry texture.
To elevate your Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins experience, here are some serving suggestions and ideas:
- Recommend Sides and Garnishes: Pair these cupcake-muffins with a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of cocoa powder, or a dusting of powdered sugar for an added touch of decadence.
- Complementary Beverages: Serve these delightful treats with a cup of freshly brewed coffee, a refreshing glass of iced tea, or a tall glass of cold milk to balance the richness of the chocolate.
- Brunch Delight: Arrange the cupcake-muffins on a beautiful platter alongside fresh berries and a variety of mini pastries for a delightful brunch spread.
- Dessert Platter: Create a dessert platter by combining the cupcake-muffins with other mini treats such as chocolate truffles, fruit skewers, or mini cheesecakes for a diverse and indulgent dessert experience.
- Ice Cream Sandwiches: Slice the cupcake-muffins in half horizontally and sandwich a scoop of your favorite ice cream between the layers for a unique and delicious dessert twist.
FAQs about Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins
Can I make Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins in advance?
Absolutely! These cupcake-muffins can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Alternatively, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How can I store any leftovers?
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer storage, refrigerate them for up to 4 days or freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen cupcakes in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Can I use frozen cherries instead of fresh ones?
Yes, you can use frozen cherries in this recipe. Thaw the cherries completely and pat them dry before incorporating them into the batter. Keep in mind that frozen cherries may bleed more color into the batter, resulting in a slightly different appearance.
Can I make Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins without eggs?
Yes, you can make an eggless version of these cupcakes by using a suitable egg substitute like applesauce, mashed bananas, or yogurt. Follow the substitution ratio recommended for the specific substitute you choose.
Can I make Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins gluten-free?
Certainly! You can replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend in equal proportions. Ensure that the blend contains xanthan gum or add it separately as per the package instructions.
Craving a sweet treat without the guilt? Our Low Calorie Chocolate Cherry Cupcake-Muffins are the answer. Follow our expert advice to create these fluffy delights, combining the irresistible allure of chocolate with the tangy sweetness of cherries. Share the recipe with your friends and family and subscribe to our blog for more delightful recipes.