I received a comment yesterday from Emily conveying that she had quite a bit of zucchini “kicking around” the house. This morning, I figured that I would offer a sweet and delicious way to put some of that excess zucchini to great use! If you have never tried Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins before, you have truly been missing out! They are just slightly sweet, with a rich, deep, complex depth of flavor. They will make for a delicious treat any time of day, and I really hope that you will all give them a try – even if you are not currently being overrun by zucchini!
Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins
- 6 cup jumbo muffin tin (or 12 cup standard)
- 1 large bowl
- 1 separate bowl
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ cups finely shredded (or grated) zucchini
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana
- 2 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously grease a 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil and eggs and mix well until creamy; Stir in the applesauce (or banana) and mix well again.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add this dry mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips until everything is well incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffins tins and bake for about 20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted n the center of a muffin comes out clean).
Alternative Method: Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a quick and convenient way to make Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins, the air fryer is your best friend. It provides a speedy cooking process while still ensuring moist and delicious muffins. Here’s how to make them using an air fryer:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Cooking spray, for greasing
- Preheat your air fryer to 325°F (163°C) for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, applesauce, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract until smooth and well combined.
- Add the shredded zucchini and milk to the wet ingredients, stirring until evenly incorporated.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, stirring until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Lightly grease your air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Alternatively, you can line the basket with parchment paper liners.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the prepared air fryer basket, filling each cavity about 2/3 full.
- Place the basket in the air fryer and cook the muffins at 325°F (163°C) for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the muffins from the air fryer and let them cool in the basket for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, serve and enjoy these delectable Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins, guilt-free!
By utilizing the air fryer, you can achieve perfectly baked Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins with a slightly crisp exterior and moist interior. It’s a fantastic alternative method that saves time and still delivers mouthwatering results.
To ensure the best results for your Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins, here are some valuable tips and tricks that will elevate your baking game:
- Incorporate the zucchini properly: After grating the zucchini, gently squeeze out any excess moisture. This step is crucial to prevent the muffins from becoming too moist. Use a clean kitchen towel or a fine-mesh sieve to ensure the zucchini retains just the right amount of moisture.
- Don’t overmix the batter: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, be careful not to overmix. Overmixing can result in dense and tough muffins. Mix until the ingredients are just combined, leaving a few lumps. This will ensure a tender and fluffy texture.
- Use high-quality cocoa powder: To achieve a rich and decadent chocolate flavor, opt for high-quality cocoa powder. It will make a noticeable difference in the overall taste of Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins. Look for natural, unsweetened cocoa powder for the best results.
- Adjust baking time accordingly: Oven temperatures may vary, so keep a close eye on Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins while baking. Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin—if it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, they are ready. If not, bake for a few more minutes and retest.
- Cool before removing from the pan: Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. This will prevent them from sticking and help maintain their shape.
Now that you’ve baked these delectable Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins, let’s explore some delightful ways to serve and enjoy them:
- Pair with a creamy spread: Slather a bit of almond butter, peanut butter, or cream cheese on a freshly baked muffin for an extra layer of indulgence. The creamy spread complements the rich chocolate flavors perfectly.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt: For a refreshing twist, place a scoop of creamy vanilla frozen yogurt on top of a warm muffin. The contrasting temperatures and flavors create a delightful dessert experience.
- Top with a dusting of powdered sugar: Before serving, dust the muffins with a light sprinkle of powdered sugar. This simple yet elegant touch adds a touch of sweetness and enhances their visual appeal.
- Create a delightful breakfast parfait: Crumble a muffin into a glass or bowl, layer it with Greek yogurt, and top it with fresh berries. This creates a delicious and nutritious breakfast parfait that combines the flavors of chocolate, zucchini, and tangy yogurt.
- Enjoy with a cup of hot cocoa: Indulge in a cozy pairing by savoring a warm muffin alongside a steaming cup of hot cocoa. The combination of chocolatey goodness will warm your soul on a chilly day.
FAQs about Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins
Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour in this recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture and taste may differ slightly. Whole wheat flour tends to absorb more moisture, so you may need to adjust the liquid content accordingly.
How should I store the leftovers?
If you have any leftover muffins, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For extended freshness, you can refrigerate them for up to a week. To enjoy them warm again, simply reheat in the microwave for a few seconds or in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5 minutes.
Can I freeze these muffins?
Absolutely! These Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins freeze well. Once completely cooled, individually wrap them in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or reheat from frozen in the microwave or oven.
Can I add nuts or other mix-ins to the batter?
Certainly! Feel free to add chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, or even dark chocolate chips to the batter. Simply fold them in gently before portioning the batter into the muffin tin. These additions will add extra texture and flavor to your muffins.
Can I make these muffins gluten-free?
Yes, you can make gluten-free Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins by using a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend. Make sure the blend contains xanthan gum or add it separately according to the instructions on the flour package. Additionally, ensure that all other ingredients used are certified gluten-free to avoid cross-contamination.
Indulge in guilt-free goodness with our Low Fat Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins! Discover expert tips and tricks to ensure perfect results every time. Don’t forget to share the recipe and subscribe to our blog for more delectable treats.