Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins have a fresh, light orange flavor that is a perfect “pick-me-up”. They are sweet and refreshing without being overpowering or heavy. To be honest, I wasn’t quite sure that I would like the combination of orange and pecan – but it came out surprisingly delicious. If you are in the mood to try something different and new, these muffins are just the thing!
Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins
- 6 cup jumbo muffin (or 12 cup standard)
- 1 large bowl
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ tablespoon grated orange rind (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar free orange marmalade
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease a 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin with nonstick spray.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the oil, egg, milk, orange juice and orange rind in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened, then stir in the pecans.
- Fill the muffin tins about 1/3 full with batter, then spoon one teaspoon of the marmalade (centered) on top of the batter. Divide the remaining batter between the muffin cups, spooning it directly on top of the marmalade.
- Bake for 25 minutes (or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean).
Alternative Method: Making Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins using an Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a quicker and more convenient way to bake these delicious muffins, why not try using an air fryer? It’s a fantastic appliance that can deliver equally amazing results. Here’s how you can make Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins using an air fryer:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat your air fryer to 325°F (160°C) for 5 minutes to ensure it’s nice and hot.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in the orange marmalade, freshly squeezed orange juice, and chopped pecans into the batter.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper or silicone liners for easy removal. Alternatively, lightly grease the basket with cooking spray.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared air fryer basket, filling each muffin cavity about two-thirds full.
- Place the basket in the preheated air fryer and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the muffins from the air fryer and let them cool in the basket for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, serve and enjoy these delightful Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins!
Note: Cooking times may vary depending on the brand and model of your air fryer, so keep a close eye on the muffins to prevent overcooking.
Using an air fryer to make these muffins provides a quicker cooking time and results in a slightly different texture compared to traditional oven baking. The air fryer’s circulating hot air ensures even cooking and a crispy exterior, while still maintaining the moistness and delicious flavors of the muffins. It’s a fantastic alternative method for those seeking efficiency and convenience without compromising on taste!
Mastering the art of baking these Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins requires a few insider tips and tricks. Let’s explore some expert advice to ensure your muffins turn out perfectly moist and bursting with flavor.
- Use Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice: For the best results, opt for freshly squeezed orange juice rather than store-bought. The natural tanginess and vibrant citrus notes will elevate the flavor of your muffins.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, be careful not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can lead to dense and tough muffins. Mix until the ingredients are just incorporated, and you’ll achieve a light and fluffy texture.
- Fold in the Pecans: Gently fold in the chopped pecans into the batter at the end. This will ensure an even distribution of the nuts throughout the muffins, adding a delightful crunch to every bite.
- Adjust Baking Time: Keep a close eye on the muffins as they bake. Baking time may vary depending on your oven. Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin, and if it comes out clean or with a few crumbs, they are ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Cool Before Removing from the Pan: Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. This will prevent them from breaking apart and help maintain their shape.
Now that you’ve mastered the art of baking these delightful Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins, let’s explore some creative ways to serve and enhance their flavors.
- Recommend Sides, Garnishes, or Beverages: Pair your Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a luscious and indulgent treat. Alternatively, serve them alongside a cup of hot tea or a refreshing glass of iced lemonade to complement the citrusy flavors.
- Suggest Different Ways to Serve the Dish: Get creative with your presentation! Serve the muffins on a tiered cake stand for an elegant afternoon tea party or place them in a rustic basket for a casual brunch gathering. You can also serve them as a delightful dessert alongside a platter of assorted fruits for a burst of freshness.
As you embark on your Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins baking journey, it’s natural to have a few questions. Let’s address some commonly asked questions to ensure a smooth baking experience.
Can I Store Leftover Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins?
Absolutely! Store any leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. If you want to extend their shelf life, you can refrigerate them for up to a week. Just make sure to bring them back to room temperature or heat them slightly before serving.
Can I Freeze the Muffins?
Yes, you can freeze these muffins! Once they have cooled completely, place them in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw them at room temperature or reheat them in the oven before enjoying.
How Can I Add a Zesty Glaze to the Muffins?
To add a delightful glaze, combine powdered sugar with freshly squeezed orange juice until you reach your desired consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled muffins, and let it set before serving.
Can I Substitute Pecans with Other Nuts?
Of course! If you prefer a different nut, such as walnuts or almonds, feel free to substitute them for pecans. Just ensure they are chopped into similar-sized pieces for a balanced texture.
Are These Muffins Suitable for Dietary Restrictions?
These Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins are a great option for those looking for a healthier treat. However, it’s always essential to check the specific dietary needs and restrictions of individuals, such as gluten-free or nut allergies, and make appropriate substitutions if necessary.
Dive into the world of Low Fat Orange Pecan Marmalade Muffins and unlock a realm of culinary possibilities. From essential cooking tips to serving suggestions that will impress your guests, this blog post has it all. Join our community, share the recipe, and subscribe to never miss out on our tantalizing creations!