Once you try these incredible “surprise in the center” turkey burgers, you’ll never reach for a greasy, fat-laden beef burger off the grill again! If you’ve tried turkey burgers in the past, chances are you have been disappointed by the dry, bland brick between your bun. These Low Fat Turkey Burgers with Herb Sauce will change your opinion for good. They are so juicy, moist and flavorful that you will have a hard time believing that something that tastes so delicious could possibly be good for you. Give them a try and see what you think….
Low Fat Turkey Burgers with Herb Sauce
- 1 large bowl
- 1 grill, grill pan, or skillet
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- ⅔ cup plus 2 additional fat free sour cream (divided)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons fat-free feta cheese (or substitute your favorite - cheddar, mozzarella - just keep it a low-fat variety)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves (or baby spinach, arugula, etc)
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Combine the onion, parsley, and 2 tablespoons sour cream in a large bowl. Crumble the ground turkey into the bowl and mix well. Shape into 8 thin patties (about half the thickness of a normal burger).
- Place cheese in the center of 4 of the patties, then top with the remaining 4 and press all around the edges to seal the patties together (so that you end up with a total of 4 regular thickness patties).
- Coat a grill, grill pan, or skillet with non-stick spray and grill burgers, covered, over medium heat (you can also broil them 4-6 inches from the heat source) for 5 - 6 minutes on each side (or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees on a meat thermometer).
- While the burgers are cooking, combine the chives, basil, lemon juice, tarragon, salt, pepper, and remaining 2/3 cup sour cream and stir together well. Serve on the buns with the lettuce and other fixings of your choice.
To ensure the best results when preparing Low Fat Turkey Burgers with Herb Sauce, here are some valuable cooking tips and tricks:
- Use Lean Ground Turkey: Opt for lean ground turkey with a lower fat content for healthier burgers. This will help keep the patties moist and flavorful while reducing the overall fat content of the dish.
- Add Moisture with Binders: Since turkey is a lean meat, it can sometimes result in dry burgers. Combat this by adding moisture with binders such as breadcrumbs, finely chopped onions, or grated zucchini. These ingredients will help retain juiciness and prevent the burgers from becoming too dry.
- Proper Seasoning: Don’t be afraid to season your turkey patties generously. Turkey can benefit from robust flavors, so add a combination of herbs, spices, garlic, and a touch of salt and pepper to enhance the taste.
- Preheat the Grill or Skillet: Before cooking the turkey burgers, make sure your grill or skillet is properly preheated. This will help achieve a golden brown crust on the outside while ensuring the burgers cook evenly throughout.
- Avoid Overcooking: Turkey burgers can dry out if overcooked. Cook them just until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C), as recommended by the USDA, using an instant-read thermometer. This will ensure that the burgers stay moist and flavorful.
The Best Ways To Serve Low Fat Turkey Burgers with Herb Sauce
Now that your Low Fat Turkey Burgers with Herb Sauce are ready to be served, let’s explore some delightful ways to present and enjoy this dish:
- Recommended Sides and Garnishes: Serve the turkey burgers with a side of oven-baked sweet potato fries or a refreshing green salad tossed with a light vinaigrette. Garnish the burgers with fresh lettuce leaves, ripe tomato slices, and thinly sliced red onions for added crunch and freshness.
- Creative Serving Ideas: Step up your burger game by serving the patties in lettuce wraps for a low-carb option. Alternatively, use whole wheat buns or multigrain rolls for a heartier meal. Experiment with different types of cheese, such as feta or goat cheese, to add a tangy twist to the flavor profile.
- Herb Sauce Pairings: The herb sauce is a star in itself! Besides topping the burgers, use it as a dipping sauce for oven-baked sweet potato wedges or as a flavorful spread on toasted whole grain bread.
- Complementary Beverages: Pair your Low Fat Turkey Burgers with Herb Sauce with refreshing beverages like iced herbal tea, a glass of chilled lemonade, or a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir. These options will complement the flavors of the dish and provide a satisfying dining experience.
Can I store leftover turkey burgers?
Absolutely! Store any leftover cooked turkey burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently warm them in a skillet over medium heat or briefly grill them until heated through. Ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption.
Can I freeze the turkey burger patties?
Yes, you can freeze uncooked turkey burger patties for future use. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer the patties to a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before cooking.
Can I substitute the ground turkey with another protein?
Certainly! If you prefer, you can substitute the ground turkey with lean ground chicken or even plant-based alternatives like lentils or black beans. Adjust the seasonings and cooking time accordingly to suit the chosen protein.
Can I make the herb sauce ahead of time?
Yes, the herb sauce can be prepared in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Give it a quick stir before serving to ensure the flavors are well combined.
Can I grill the turkey burgers instead of cooking them on a stovetop?
Absolutely! Grilling the turkey burgers adds a delicious smoky flavor. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grates. Cook the patties for about 5-6 minutes per side or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Remember to flip them gently to avoid any breakage.
Discover the secret to flavorful and healthy burgers with our Low Fat Turkey Burgers with Herb Sauce. From lean ground turkey to a zesty herb sauce, this recipe will satisfy your cravings while keeping you on track with your wellness goals. Join our food-loving community and be part of the conversation by sharing the recipe and subscribing to our blog. Let’s embark on a flavorful journey together!