These Moist Cherry Almond Muffins are so moist, with just the right amount of sweetness. I usually make a batch to freeze, and simply warm them in the microwave for a few minutes. They’re great to have on hand – and when unexpected company drops in, you could easily sweeten them up with a fruit preserve glaze or serve them warm with ice cream as an impromptu dessert!!
Moist Cherry Almond Muffins
- 1 very large mixing bowl
- muffin tins
- 1 wire rack
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed “shredded wheat and bran cereal”
- 3 egg whites
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 can light cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup chopped (or mini) chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray muffin tins well with non stick spray and set aside (I prefer canola oil spray for baking due it’s very mild taste).
- In a very large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder & soda, salt cinnamon, and crushed cereal. Mix well until there are no large clumps, and everything is incorporated. Make a “well” in the center of the dry ingredients and add egg whites, applesauce, pie filling, and vanilla.
- Mix all ingredients together until moist. Fold in almonds and chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly into muffin tins - filling them about 2/3 of the way full. (If there are empty wells in your muffin tin, fill them with a little water before baking so they don’t scorch).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack at least 15 minutes before removing muffins from tins, then place them on a wire rack to cool completely before wrapping to freeze.
Alternative Method: Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a different kitchen appliance to prepare your Moist Cherry Almond Muffins, an air fryer can be a fantastic choice. Follow the steps below to achieve moist and delicious muffins using this versatile appliance:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- Sliced almonds for topping (optional)
- Preheat your air fryer to 330°F (165°C) for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently fold them together until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Add the chopped cherries to the batter and fold them in gently.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper or silicone liners. Spoon the muffin batter into the prepared liners, filling each about two-thirds of the way.
- If desired, sprinkle some sliced almonds on top of each muffin for extra crunch and flavor.
- Place the muffins in the preheated air fryer basket, ensuring there is enough space between them for proper air circulation.
- Cook the muffins in the air fryer at 330°F (165°C) for approximately 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once done, remove the muffins from the air fryer and transfer them to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the Moist Cherry Almond Muffins warm and enjoy!
Note: Cooking times may vary depending on the brand and model of your air fryer. It’s recommended to keep an eye on the muffins during the cooking process to ensure they are cooked to perfection.
Remember, this alternative method using an air fryer provides a slightly different texture and crust compared to traditional oven-baked muffins, but it still yields moist and delicious results.
To ensure the best results for your Moist Cherry Almond Muffins, here are some valuable cooking tips and insights to guide you through the process. We’ll offer tips and tricks to achieve moist and flavorful muffins, as well as share insights on common mistakes to avoid.
- Use Fresh and Juicy Cherries: Opt for fresh and ripe cherries for the best flavor and texture. Look for cherries that are plump, firm, and vibrant in color. Remove the pits and chop them into bite-sized pieces before incorporating them into the batter.
- Gently Fold in the Ingredients: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, remember to gently fold them together using a spatula. Overmixing can lead to tough muffins. Aim for a slightly lumpy batter rather than a perfectly smooth one.
- Don’t Overbake: Keep a close eye on your muffins while they’re in the oven. Overbaking can result in dry and crumbly muffins. Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin—if it comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, they’re done. Remove them promptly to preserve their moistness.
- Add a Crunchy Almond Topping: For an extra touch of indulgence, sprinkle some sliced almonds on top of each muffin before baking. The almonds will toast in the oven, adding a delightful crunch and enhancing the almond flavor.
- Allow the Muffins to Cool: After removing the muffins from the oven, transfer them to a wire rack and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. This helps them set and ensures a better texture.
Serving Your Moist Cherry Almond Muffins
Now that your Moist Cherry Almond Muffins are ready to be enjoyed, let’s explore some delightful serving suggestions. We’ll recommend sides, garnishes, or beverages that complement the flavors, as well as suggest different ways to serve this delectable treat.
- Pair with a Warm Beverage: Enjoy your Moist Cherry Almond Muffins with a steaming cup of freshly brewed coffee, a fragrant cup of tea, or a comforting glass of warm almond milk. The combination of flavors will create a cozy and satisfying experience.
- Serve with Whipped Cream and Fresh Cherries: Elevate your muffins by serving them with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream and a few fresh cherries on top. The creaminess and fruity sweetness will beautifully complement the flavors of the muffins.
- Create a Breakfast Spread: Arrange the muffins alongside a variety of spreads such as butter, almond butter, or cream cheese. Let your guests customize their muffins with their favorite toppings, turning breakfast into a delightful interactive experience.
- Accompany with Vanilla Ice Cream: For a decadent dessert, serve a warm muffin with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream. The contrast between the warm muffin and the cold ice cream creates a heavenly combination of temperatures and flavors.
- Toast and Spread with Nutella: Take your Moist Cherry Almond Muffins to the next level by toasting them slightly and spreading a layer of rich and indulgent Nutella on top. The luscious chocolate-hazelnut spread adds a luxurious touch to the already delightful muffins.
Can I use frozen cherries instead of fresh ones?
Absolutely! Frozen cherries can be used as a substitute for fresh ones. Thaw them before using and pat them dry to remove excess moisture. Keep in mind that frozen cherries may bleed more into the batter, resulting in slightly altered coloration.
How should I store leftovers Moist Cherry Almond Muffins?
If you have any leftover muffins, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To extend their freshness, you can refrigerate them for up to a week. Before serving, gently warm them in the oven or microwave to restore their softness and enhance their flavors.
Can I make these muffins gluten-free?
Certainly! You can try substituting the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Look for a blend specifically designed for baking, and follow the package instructions for the appropriate substitution ratio. Keep in mind that the texture and taste may vary slightly.
Can I use almond extract instead of vanilla extract?
Yes, you can! Almond extract can be used to enhance the nutty flavor in these muffins. Replace the vanilla extract with an equal amount of almond extract for a more pronounced almond taste. Adjust the quantity to your preference, keeping in mind that almond extract is potent.
Can I freeze the muffins for later?
Absolutely! These muffins freeze well. Once they have completely cooled, place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or reheat gently in the oven before enjoying.
Join me on a baking adventure as we delve into the world of Moist Cherry Almond Muffins. Discover the secrets to creating these moist and flavorful treats, and don’t forget to share the recipe with your friends and subscribe to my blog for more culinary inspiration!