This is an absolutely delicious, moist, perfect pumpkin bread for a holiday brunch, an afternoon “get-together”, or even a weekday morning. The pumpkin flavor is not too overwhelming, and combined with the spices, it simply wonderful!! If you really want to make a good impression on someone (or just want an extra special treat) spread this perfect bread warm with a little spiced cream cheese frosting (recipe follows). I promise, Pumpkin Spice Bread will not disappoint! It is easy to make, very moist and flavorful, has a fantastic flavor, and keeps for a week wrapped on the counter – even the most skeptical “pumpkin-flavored” critics will be asking for a second slice!
Pumpkin Spice Bread
- 1 9×5 inch (standard) loaf pan
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 large bowl
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup unsweetened, all natural apple sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×5 inch (standard) loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin, apple sauce, water and eggs in a medium mixing bowl and stir to blend well. In a larger bowl, combine the whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and cloves; stir to sift all of the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir well. If using nuts and/or raisins, fold them in to the batter at this point.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and place it on the center rack of the oven. Bake for about 60 – 65 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean). Allow the bread to cool for at least 30 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Mastering the art of baking Pumpkin Spice Bread requires a few essential tips and tricks. In this section, I’ll share valuable insights to ensure your bread turns out perfectly moist and full of flavor. Additionally, I’ll highlight common mistakes to avoid, so you can achieve bakery-worthy results every time.
- Use Fresh Spices: To enhance the aromatic profile of your bread, opt for freshly ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. The vibrant flavors will infuse the loaf, creating a truly indulgent experience.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, be mindful not to overmix. Overmixing can result in a dense texture. Instead, gently fold the ingredients together until just combined, allowing the bread to rise and develop a tender crumb.
- Test for Doneness: Baking times may vary, so it’s crucial to rely on doneness indicators rather than following an exact time. Insert a toothpick into the center of the bread—if it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, your bread is ready to be enjoyed!
- Let It Cool: While it may be tempting to dive into a freshly baked loaf, allow your Pumpkin Spice Bread to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. This helps to set the structure and prevent it from crumbling.
- Freezing for Future Delights: If you have leftovers or want to make a batch in advance, Pumpkin Spice Bread freezes beautifully. Wrap individual slices or the whole loaf tightly in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and enjoy whenever the craving strikes!
Pumpkin Spice Bread is a versatile treat that can be enjoyed in various settings. Whether you’re hosting a cozy autumn gathering or simply craving a delightful snack, I’ve got you covered. Here are some serving suggestions to elevate your Pumpkin Spice Bread experience.
- Perfect for Fall Brunch: Serve thick slices of Pumpkin Spice Bread alongside a platter of assorted cheeses, fresh fruit, and a steaming cup of spiced chai tea. The warm flavors and comforting aroma will create an inviting atmosphere for your brunch guests.
- Afternoon Tea Delight: For an elegant twist, cut your Pumpkin Spice Bread into small squares or finger-sized portions. Arrange them on a tiered cake stand and pair with clotted cream and a selection of flavored teas. It’s a sophisticated treat that’s perfect for indulging in a leisurely afternoon tea session.
- Dessert Extravaganza: Take your Pumpkin Spice Bread to the next level by transforming it into a luscious bread pudding. Cut the bread into cubes, soak them in a mixture of milk, eggs, and warm spices, then bake until golden brown. Serve with a drizzle of caramel sauce or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an unforgettable dessert experience.
- Breakfast Boost: Start your day on a delicious note by toasting thick slices of Pumpkin Spice Bread and spreading them with a generous amount of creamy butter or homemade pumpkin butter. Pair it with a cup of freshly brewed coffee or a tall glass of cold milk for a satisfying breakfast treat.
- Gift from the Heart: Wrap your freshly baked this bread in a beautiful, rustic package and gift it to family, friends, or neighbors. Include a handwritten note with serving suggestions and storage tips to make their experience even more enjoyable.
FAQs about Pumpkin Spice Bread
As a passionate food blogger, I understand that you may have some questions about Pumpkin Spice Bread. In this section, I’ll address the most common queries and provide you with all the answers you need. From storage tips to ingredient substitutions, consider this your go-to resource for all things Pumpkin Spice Bread.
Can I substitute fresh pumpkin for canned pumpkin puree in this recipe?
Absolutely! While canned pumpkin puree is convenient, you can use an equal amount of freshly cooked and mashed pumpkin. Just make sure it’s well-drained and cooled before incorporating it into the recipe.
How long can I store Pumpkin Spice Bread, and what’s the best way to store it?
Pumpkin Spice Bread can be stored at room temperature, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. For longer storage, refrigerate it for up to a week. To enjoy it beyond that, freeze individual slices or the whole loaf for up to 3 months.
Can I add nuts or raisins to the batter for extra texture?
Absolutely! Chopped walnuts, pecans, or raisins can be wonderful additions to the this bread batter. Add about 1/2 cup of your preferred mix-ins when combining the wet and dry ingredients.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can! Simply swap the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend of your choice. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for substituting the flour and consider adding xanthan gum for better texture.
Can I make muffins instead of a loaf with this recipe?
Certainly! To make Pumpkin Spice Muffins, divide the batter evenly into a lined muffin tin and bake at the same temperature mentioned in the recipe. Start checking for doneness around 18-20 minutes, as muffins tend to bake faster than a loaf. Enjoy the individual-sized treats!
Unleash your inner baker with our expert guide to making Pumpkin Spice Bread. Learn essential cooking tips, explore creative serving suggestions, and find answers to frequently asked questions. Don’t keep this delicious recipe to yourself—share it with others and stay updated with our blog by subscribing today!