This Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish recipe only serves 2, because it is perfect for a special, elegant dinner for two. It is easy and fast enough for even a work night. If you would like to serve a larger group, simply double (or even triple) the recipe for company. It takes less than 15 minutes to get this meal on the table. Complete the meal with a simple mixed green salad, and a nice crusty loaf of Italian bread, or even serve it over some orzo pasta drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. YUMMMM!
Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish
- 1 small bowl
- 1 large nonstick skillet
- 2 serving plates
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (use the good stuff if you have it)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salmon fillets
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin (c’mon - you know it’s in the spice rack somewhere!)
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ombine the tomatoes, basil, vinegar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sprinkle the salmon with the cumin, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the salmon and cook for 4 minutes.
- Carefully flip the salmon, and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes - until the salmon is opaque in the center and flakes easily.
- Transfer the salmon to serving plates and add the tomato mixture to the skillet. Increase the heat to high and cook until the mixture is warmed through (about 1 to 2 minutes). Spoon the tomato mixture over the salmon, and serve.
To ensure the best results and avoid common mistakes, here are some valuable cooking tips for preparing the mouthwatering Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish.
- Mastering the Heat: Achieving the perfect sear on your salmon requires proper heat management. Make sure your skillet is preheated over medium-high heat before adding the fish. This helps create a beautiful caramelized crust while keeping the interior tender and juicy.
- Seasoning Sensibly: Prior to searing, generously season your salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Allow them to sit at room temperature for a few minutes to enhance the flavors. For an extra touch, you can also add a sprinkle of herbs or a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Timing is Key: Cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of your salmon fillets. As a general guideline, aim for 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium doneness. Keep a close eye on the color and texture to achieve your desired level of doneness.
- Let It Rest: Once your salmon is cooked to perfection, resist the temptation to dig in immediately. Allow it to rest for a few minutes, tented with foil, before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a more flavorful and tender final dish.
- Quality Ingredients: The success of this recipe lies in using high-quality ingredients. Opt for fresh, ripe tomatoes for the relish, and consider purchasing sustainable and responsibly sourced salmon to support both your taste buds and the environment.
Serving Your Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish
Now that you’ve mastered the art of Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish, let’s explore some delightful serving suggestions that will take your dish to the next level.
- Perfect Pairings: Serve your Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish alongside a bed of fluffy quinoa or wild rice for a wholesome and satisfying meal. The grains will absorb the flavors of the dish, creating a harmonious combination.
- Vibrant Vegetable Medley: Create a colorful plate by adding a medley of roasted or steamed seasonal vegetables, such as asparagus, baby carrots, or roasted bell peppers. This adds a delightful crunch and complements the flavors of the salmon and tomato relish.
- Citrusy Delights: Enhance the freshness of the dish by squeezing some lemon or lime juice over the seared salmon just before serving. The citrusy tang will brighten the flavors and provide a refreshing contrast.
- Garnish Galore: Sprinkle some freshly chopped herbs, such as dill, parsley, or chives, on top of the salmon to add a burst of freshness and visual appeal. A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil can also elevate the flavors.
- Creative Canapés: Transform your Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish into bite-sized canapés by serving it on toasted baguette slices or cucumber rounds. Top with a dollop of the tomato relish and a sprinkle of microgreens for an elegant appetizer.
How long can I store the leftovers of Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish?
If you have any leftovers of Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be kept for up to 2 days. To enjoy the salmon at its best, gently reheat it in a skillet over low heat until warmed through.
Can I use frozen salmon for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen salmon for this recipe. Thaw it completely in the refrigerator overnight before cooking. Pat the fillets dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture before searing.
Can I substitute the fresh tomato relish with a different sauce?
Absolutely! While the fresh tomato relish adds a vibrant touch, you can experiment with other sauces or salsas. Try a tangy mango salsa or a creamy dill sauce to complement the flavors of the seared salmon.
Can I grill the salmon instead of searing it?
Yes, grilling is another fantastic option for cooking salmon. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grates. Grill the salmon for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until it reaches your desired doneness.
Is it possible to make this dish gluten-free?
Yes, this recipe can be easily adapted to be gluten-free. Ensure that the ingredients you use, including the soy sauce or any seasoning blends, are certified gluten-free. Replace any potential sources of gluten with suitable alternatives, such as tamari sauce or gluten-free soy sauce.
With the art of Seared Salmon with Fresh Tomato Relish discovered, it’s time to share this recipe and spread the culinary joy. Don’t keep it to yourself—share this delectable recipe with your friends and family, and don’t forget to subscribe to our blog for more culinary adventures.