Spiced Pear Muffins are very filling and will make a great addition to your “muffin menu”. You really don’t see very many pear recipes now-a-days, which is a shame, because they are a wonderfully delicious, sweet, “nutritional powerhouse” of a fruit! These moist, dense muffins are especially good served warm – so if you are going to freeze them to have later in the week, I would suggest warming them slightly in the microwave or toaster oven first.
Spiced Pear Muffins
- 6 cup jumbo muffin tin (or 12 cup standard)
- 1 large bowl
- 4 large ripe pears
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped after measuring)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray a 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Peel, core, and dice the pears and then place them in a large bowl with the sugar and set aside.
- Combine the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and stir well to combine.
- Add the applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla to the bowl with the pear/sugar mixture and stir together to mix well, then add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the raisins and walnuts, and then divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
Alternative Method: Air Fryer
For those seeking a quicker and more efficient cooking method, using an air fryer is a fantastic alternative to traditional baking. It allows you to achieve a delightful texture with a slightly crispy exterior. Here’s how to prepare Spiced Pear Muffins using an air fryer:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated ripe pears (about 2 medium-sized pears)
- ½ cup milk
- Optional: Chopped nuts or raisins for added texture and flavor
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the grated pears to the wet mixture, followed by half of the dry ingredients. Mix well, then add the milk and the remaining dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes.
- Grease the air fryer basket or line it with parchment paper or silicone liners to prevent sticking.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the prepared air fryer basket, filling each cavity about 2/3 full. Leave some space between each muffin to allow for even air circulation.
- Place the basket in the preheated air fryer and cook the muffins for approximately 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the muffins from the air fryer and allow them to cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Optional: Dust the muffins with powdered sugar or drizzle with a simple glaze for an extra touch of sweetness.
Enjoy these delightful Air Fryer Spiced Pear Muffins as a quick and flavorful treat, perfect for breakfast or a delightful snack!
To ensure the best results and make your Spiced Pear Muffins truly exceptional, here are some valuable cooking tips and insights to keep in mind:
- Use ripe and juicy pears: Opt for ripe pears that yield slightly when gently pressed. The juiciness of the pears will add moisture and enhance the flavor of your muffins.
- Grate the pears: Grating the pears instead of dicing them will distribute their natural sweetness throughout the batter more evenly, resulting in moist and tender muffins.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing can lead to tough muffins. Mix the ingredients until just combined, leaving some lumps. This will ensure a tender crumb and prevent overdeveloping the gluten.
- Preheat the oven: Always preheat your oven before baking. This step ensures that the muffins rise properly and bake evenly.
- Test for doneness: Insert a toothpick or a skewer into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, the muffins are ready. Overbaking can result in dry muffins, so keep an eye on them.
The Best Ways To Serve And Enjoy Spiced Pear Muffins
To make your Spiced Pear Muffins even more enticing, here are some serving suggestions and ideas to elevate your culinary experience:
- Pair with a warm beverage: Enjoy these muffins with a cup of freshly brewed coffee, aromatic chai tea, or a comforting mug of hot apple cider. The flavors will harmonize beautifully.
- Spread with honey butter: Whip up a batch of homemade honey butter to slather onto your muffins. The sweet and creamy combination will take them to the next level of deliciousness.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt: Add a touch of tanginess and creaminess by serving your muffins with a dollop of Greek yogurt. It balances the sweetness and provides a delightful contrast in textures.
- Accompany with vanilla ice cream: For a decadent dessert twist, serve warm Spiced Pear Muffins with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream. The warm-cold contrast is pure bliss.
- Enjoy as a breakfast treat: These muffins are perfect for breakfast or brunch. Pair them with scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, and a fresh fruit salad for a well-rounded morning meal.
Can I use other fruits instead of pears?
Absolutely! While pears are the star of this recipe, you can experiment with other fruits like apples, peaches, or even berries for a different flavor profile. Adjust the spices accordingly.
How should I store any leftover muffins?
Store any leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you prefer to keep them longer, refrigerate them for up to a week. Just remember to bring them to room temperature or warm them slightly before serving.
Can I freeze the muffins?
Yes, you can freeze the muffins for future enjoyment. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap, place them in a freezer-safe bag, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or reheat in the microwave.
Can I make these muffins gluten-free?
Absolutely! You can substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Just ensure that the blend includes xanthan gum or add it separately according to the package instructions.
Can I add nuts or raisins to the batter?
Of course! Feel free to incorporate chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, or add a handful of plump raisins to the muffin batter. They will add extra texture and flavor to the muffins.
Elevate your baking game with our easy-to-make Spiced Pear Muffins, a burst of flavors in every bite. Share the warmth and sweetness of this autumn-inspired recipe with your loved ones and don’t forget to subscribe to our blog for more tempting recipes that will satisfy your cravings.