These Turkey Hash Patties are great to make your own sausage-egg-and-cheese sandwiches at home, or served alongside eggs, pancakes, or french toast. The mixture is also delicious if (instead of forming into patties) you brown it in a skillet and serve it mixed with tomato sauce over your favorite whole wheat pasta, or cut the potatoes a little larger and serve it as you would traditional “hash”. Using a potato in the mixture makes these patties really hearty. Try experimenting with different spices and sauces in the mixture for a variety of different tastes. If you happen to come up with a particularly “yummy” version that you like even better- send me an email- I’d love to try it!
Turkey Hash Patties
- 1 large bowl
- 1 large non-stick skillet
- plastic wrap
- 1 large peeled potato
- 1 large onion
- ½ pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (I usually don’t have this on hand and wind up using soy sauce instead!)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Grate the potato and onion into a large bowl (I usually just use the food processor for this). Stir in the ground turkey, egg white, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, sage and parsley. Shape mixture into 16 round patties (about 3- 3 1/2 inches each).
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place it over medium high heat. Add the sausage patties (as many as you can fit in the skillet, while keeping it one layer) and cook until browned (about 4- 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm, or let cool, wrap in individual servings with plastic wrap and then foil, and freeze to reheat in the microwave whenever you’d like.
Alternative Method: Oven-Baked Turkey Hash Patties
If you want to switch things up and prepare your Turkey Hash Patties using a different kitchen appliance, the oven is a fantastic option. This method yields beautifully browned and crispy patties with a tender interior. Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it to prevent sticking.
- Follow the recipe instructions for preparing the turkey hash mixture, including seasoning and shaping the patties.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each one for even cooking. If desired, lightly brush the tops of the patties with a touch of olive oil or melted butter for added richness and browning.
- Bake the patties in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through. To ensure even cooking, you can flip the patties halfway through the baking time.
- Once the patties are done, remove them from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This resting time allows the flavors to meld together and the patties to firm up slightly.
- Serve your oven-baked Turkey Hash Patties hot, alongside your favorite sides, garnishes, or in your preferred serving style. Enjoy the delicious blend of flavors and the satisfying crispy texture achieved through this alternative cooking method.
By utilizing the oven, you can achieve the same delectable results as the stovetop method but with the added convenience of hands-off cooking. It’s a great option when you want to prepare a larger batch of patties or if you prefer a hassle-free cooking process.
To ensure the best results with your Turkey Hash Patties, here are some valuable cooking tips and insights to keep in mind:
- Use Fresh Ingredients: Opt for fresh ground turkey and vegetables to enhance the flavors and textures of your patties. Fresh ingredients make a significant difference in the overall taste of the dish.
- Proper Seasoning: Don’t skimp on the spices! Season your patties generously with a blend of aromatic herbs and spices like garlic powder, paprika, thyme, and black pepper. Adjust the seasoning to your preference but remember that the flavors will mellow slightly during cooking.
- Careful Handling: When forming the patties, handle the mixture gently to avoid compacting it too tightly. Overmixing or pressing the mixture firmly can result in dense and tough patties. Lightly shape them with your hands, ensuring they hold together without being overly packed.
- Achieving Crispy Texture: For perfectly crispy patties, cook them over medium heat in a well-heated skillet with a drizzle of oil. Avoid overcrowding the skillet, as it can cause the patties to steam instead of achieving a crispy exterior. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Resting Time: After cooking, allow the patties to rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and the patties to firm up slightly, ensuring they hold their shape when served.
When it comes to serving Turkey Hash Patties, the possibilities are endless. Here are some ideas to enhance your dining experience:
Recommend sides, garnishes, or beverages that complement the flavors:
- Serve the patties alongside a fresh green salad dressed with a tangy vinaigrette to balance the richness.
- Pair them with a side of creamy mashed potatoes or sweet potato fries for a comforting and satisfying meal.
- Garnish the patties with a dollop of tangy Greek yogurt or a drizzle of zesty lemon aioli for an extra burst of flavor.
Suggest different ways to serve the dish:
- Transform your patties into a delicious breakfast by topping them with a perfectly poached egg and serving them with a side of sautéed spinach.
- Create a flavorful burger by placing a patty on a toasted bun, adding your favorite cheese, and topping it with caramelized onions and avocado slices.
- Get creative and crumble the patties over a bed of mixed greens to create a unique and protein-packed salad.
Can I make Turkey Hash Patties ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare the patties ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days. When ready to serve, simply cook them according to the recipe instructions.
Can I freeze the leftover patties?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked patties. Allow them to cool completely, then individually wrap them in plastic wrap or place them in airtight containers. They can be frozen for up to three months. To reheat, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then warm them in a preheated oven or on a stovetop until heated through.
Can I substitute the ground turkey with another type of meat?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different ground meats like chicken, beef, or even lamb to suit your taste preferences. Just keep in mind that the cooking time may vary slightly depending on the meat you choose.
Can I make smaller or larger patties?
Yes, you can adjust the size of the patties according to your preference. Keep in mind that smaller patties will typically cook faster, while larger ones may require slightly more cooking time. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure they are cooked through.
How should I store any leftover cooked patties?
If you have any leftover cooked patties, allow them to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be refrigerated for up to three days. Reheat them in a preheated oven or on a stovetop until heated through before serving.
Crispy, savory, and incredibly flavorful, Turkey Hash Patties are a must-try for any food enthusiast. Learn expert cooking tips and explore various ways to serve this delectable dish. Be sure to share the recipe with your fellow food lovers and subscribe to our blog to stay up-to-date with our latest culinary creations.