Are you ready to elevate your culinary skills and impress your guests at the next gathering? Look no further than this exceptional Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, alongside the insights I’ve gained from exploring the recipes on foodandmeal.com. Join me as we dive into the secrets behind creating perfectly grilled and succulent chicken skewers, accompanied by a bold and addictive peanut sauce, as well as a complementary Soy Dipping Sauce recipe, that will have everyone asking for the recipe.
Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1 bowl
- 1 nonstick grill pan
- 1 platter
- 1 food processor or blender
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- ½ cup reduced fat,low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1½ teaspoons fish sauce (or you could just use 2 additional teaspoons low sodium soy sauce or tamari)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (light or dark)
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 15-20 minutes
- peanut sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or cilantro, minced
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts, chopped
To Make the Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup reduced fat low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- Whisk the chicken stock, coconut milk, soy sauce, shallot, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime zest, and ginger together in a bowl. Place the chicken strips in the bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (you can throw the marinade away), and “thread” the chicken strips onto the skewers.
- Spray a nonstick grill pan with cooking spray and place it over medium-high heat. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side (or until the chicken if fully cooked).
- Place the skewers on a platter and garnish with the basil or cilantro and the chopped peanuts. Serve alongside the dipping sauce.
To Make the Dipping Sauce:
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Alternative Method: Oven-Baked Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
If you don’t have access to a grill or prefer an alternative cooking method, you can easily prepare delicious Oven-Baked Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce. This method ensures tender and flavorful chicken skewers with a hint of smokiness. Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Follow the marinating instructions for the chicken as mentioned in the original recipe. Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight to maximize the flavors.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess, and thread the marinated chicken onto soaked wooden skewers.
- Place the skewers on the prepared baking sheet, ensuring they are evenly spaced and not touching each other. This allows the heat to circulate and ensures even cooking.
- Bake the chicken skewers in the preheated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked and slightly charred on the edges. Flip the skewers once halfway through the cooking time for even browning.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce according to the original recipe.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the Oven-Baked Chicken Satay skewers alongside the Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, and garnish with chopped scallions and crushed peanuts for an extra burst of flavor.
With this oven-baked method, you can achieve tender and succulent chicken skewers that are infused with the vibrant flavors of the marinade. The oven’s even heat distribution ensures consistent cooking, while still providing a touch of char and smokiness to elevate Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce. Enjoy this alternative preparation method that brings the deliciousness of Chicken Satay to your table, even without a grill!
To ensure the best results when preparing Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, here are some valuable cooking tips and insights to keep in mind:
- Marinate for maximum flavor: For truly sensational flavor, marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight. This allows the spices and seasonings to penetrate the meat, resulting in tender, juicy, and flavorful skewers.
- Soak wooden skewers: Soaking wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes before threading the chicken prevents them from burning on the grill. This simple step ensures even cooking and eliminates the risk of charred skewers.
- Grill or broil for a smoky touch: For that irresistible smoky flavor, grill the marinated chicken skewers over medium-high heat until cooked through and slightly charred. Alternatively, you can broil them in the oven on a lined baking sheet for a similar effect.
- Baste with marinade: While grilling or broiling the chicken, baste the skewers with the remaining marinade. This adds an extra layer of flavor and helps keep the chicken moist throughout the cooking process.
- Avoid overcooking: Chicken Satay is best enjoyed when the chicken is tender and juicy. Avoid overcooking by monitoring the cooking time and ensuring the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C) without going beyond.
To elevate your Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce experience, consider these serving suggestions and recommendations:
- Recommended sides and garnishes: Serve your Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce alongside fluffy jasmine rice, which complements the flavors and soaks up the delicious peanut sauce. Fresh cucumber slices, chopped scallions, and a sprinkle of crushed peanuts make excellent garnishes, adding a refreshing crunch and visual appeal.
- Creative plating: For a visually stunning presentation, arrange the grilled chicken skewers on a bed of vibrant lettuce leaves or serve them on a wooden platter lined with banana leaves. Drizzle extra sauce over the skewers and garnish with a sprinkle of cilantro for an added touch of freshness.
- Versatile dipping sauce: The Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce is not limited to chicken! Try it as a dip for fresh spring rolls, drizzle it over grilled vegetables, or use it as a flavorful dressing for salads. Its versatility adds an exciting twist to various dishes.
- Beverage pairings: Pair your Chicken Satay with a refreshing beverage to balance the flavors. A chilled Thai iced tea or a citrusy lemongrass-infused drink complements the spiciness of the peanut sauce and enhances the overall dining experience.
- Family-style feast: Create a vibrant and interactive dining experience by serving Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce with an array of Thai-inspired dishes such as Pad Thai, Green Papaya Salad, and Tom Yum soup. This allows your guests to customize their plates and enjoy a diverse range of flavors.
Can I make Chicken Satay in advance?
Absolutely! You can marinate the chicken in advance and keep it refrigerated for up to 24 hours before grilling. However, it’s best to grill the skewers just before serving to ensure optimal taste and texture. Leftover cooked Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I use a different type of meat for this recipe?
Certainly! While chicken is the traditional choice for satay, you can experiment with other proteins such as beef, pork, or tofu. Adjust the marinade and cooking time accordingly to achieve the desired results.
Is there a vegetarian option for the Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce?
Absolutely! For a vegetarian version of the sauce, substitute the fish sauce with soy sauce or tamari. You can also add extra flavor by incorporating a dash of lime juice, garlic powder, or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Can I grill the chicken skewers indoors?
If you don’t have access to an outdoor grill, you can certainly cook the chicken skewers on an indoor grill pan or even on a stovetop griddle. This allows you to achieve those beautiful grill marks and smoky flavors while cooking indoors.
How spicy is the Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted according to your preference. Start with the recommended amount of chili paste in the recipe, and if you prefer a milder sauce, reduce the quantity. Conversely, if you love a fiery kick, feel free to add more chili paste or even sprinkle in some red pepper flakes. Remember to taste and adjust as you go to reach the desired level of spiciness.
Indulge in the tantalizing flavors of Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce and the accompanying savory Soy Dipping Sauce recipe. This blog post offers expert cooking tips, serving suggestions, and an alternative oven-baked method. Don’t forget to share the recipe and subscribe to Cooking Done Light for more mouthwatering culinary delights!