This quick and easy recipe is a great accompaniment for both breakfast and dinner. Low Calorie Easy Cornbread is a welcome change to whole wheat toast with your omelet or fruit in the morning – and it is so very versatile, that it’s variations are almost endless. For a really savory treat, add some crumbled bacon, shredded low fat cheddar cheese, diced jalapenos, or whole corn kernels to the batter before baking. For a sweeter version, toss in some whole blueberries, a little lemon rind, or poppy seeds – or spread some sweet fruit preserve on the cornbread when it’s still warm out of the oven.
Low Calorie Easy Cornbread
- 1 9 inch baking dish
- 1 large bowl
- 1 separate bowl
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and generously spray a 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine the flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine egg whites, milk and applesauce. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just moistened.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.) Cut into 6 squares or wedges and serve warm.
Alternative Method: Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a quick and efficient way to make Low Calorie Easy Cornbread, using an air fryer is a fantastic alternative to baking in the oven. Here’s a specific method to achieve a delicious cornbread using this versatile kitchen appliance:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (175°C) for approximately 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well to ensure the dry ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, honey, buttermilk, and egg until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Grease a small baking dish or a round cake pan that fits inside your air fryer basket. Pour the cornbread batter into the greased dish, spreading it evenly.
- Place the dish in the preheated air fryer basket. Cook for 15-18 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the cornbread from the air fryer and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm and enjoy your perfectly cooked Low Calorie Easy Cornbread made in the air fryer!
Using an air fryer for this recipe yields a slightly crisp exterior while keeping the cornbread moist and tender on the inside. It’s a convenient and time-saving method that allows you to enjoy this tasty treat in a flash. Experiment with different air fryer models and sizes to find the perfect cooking time and temperature that works best for you. Happy air frying!
To ensure the best results with your Low Calorie Easy Cornbread, here are some helpful cooking tips and insights:
- Use Buttermilk Substitute: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make a simple substitute by combining 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Let it sit for 5 minutes before using in the recipe.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, be careful not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can lead to a dense and tough cornbread. Stir until the ingredients are just combined for a tender texture.
- Preheat the Pan: For a nice golden crust, preheat the baking pan with a little bit of oil or butter before pouring in the batter. This helps create a delicious crispy edge.
- Test for Doneness: To check if the cornbread is fully cooked, insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean or with a few crumbs, it’s ready. Avoid overbaking, as it can result in dry cornbread.
- Allow Resting Time: After removing the cornbread from the oven, let it rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving. This allows the flavors to settle and makes it easier to cut into neat pieces.
The Best Ways To Serve Low Calorie Easy Cornbread
To elevate your Low Calorie Easy Cornbread experience, here are some serving suggestions and ideas:
- Recommended Sides and Garnishes: Serve the cornbread alongside a bowl of hearty chili, creamy soup, or a fresh salad. Top it with a dollop of whipped honey butter, maple butter, or a drizzle of warm honey for a touch of sweetness.
- Creative Serving Ideas: Cut the cornbread into bite-sized pieces and use them as a base for mini sliders. Alternatively, crumble the cornbread and use it as a topping for a comforting casserole or as a crunchy layer in a savory trifle.
- Beverage Pairings: Pair your cornbread with a refreshing glass of iced tea, lemonade, or a fruity sangria. For a cozy option, enjoy it with a mug of hot apple cider, cocoa, or a warm herbal tea.
- Brunch Delight: Turn your cornbread into a delightful brunch dish by serving it with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and fresh avocado slices. It’s a satisfying combination that will kickstart your day on a delicious note.
- Sweet and Savory Dessert: Transform the cornbread into a unique dessert by topping it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. The combination of the slightly sweet cornbread and creamy ice cream is simply irresistible.
Can I store leftovers?
Absolutely! Store any leftover Low Calorie Easy Cornbread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. To maintain its freshness, you can also refrigerate it for up to a week. Reheat individual slices in the oven or toaster for a warm and fresh taste.
Can I freeze the cornbread?
Yes, you can freeze the cornbread for longer storage. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. It can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw the cornbread in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Absolutely! Substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Ensure the blend contains xanthan gum or add it separately according to the package instructions. The rest of the recipe can remain the same.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, you can make this recipe vegan-friendly by using plant-based milk (such as almond milk or soy milk) and replacing the eggs with flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water per egg). Be sure to check the ingredient labels of any optional add-ins for vegan suitability.
Can I adjust the sweetness level?
Certainly! If you prefer a sweeter cornbread, you can increase the amount of sugar slightly. Taste the batter before baking and adjust the sweetness to your liking by adding an extra tablespoon or two of granulated sugar.
In this blog post, discover a mouthwatering Low Calorie Easy Cornbread recipe that combines the comforting flavors of traditional cornbread with a healthier twist. With simple ingredients and easy steps, this recipe is a must-try for any food lover. Don’t forget to share the recipe and subscribe to our blog for more delicious creations.