Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise have a much richer taste than the traditional hamburger, but they are just as simple and fast to make. Lamb can be kind of tricky to cook, so be very careful not to overcook the burgers, or the lamb will become rather dry.
Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise
- 1 nonstick grill pan or skillet
- 1 bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1¼ lbs lean ground lamb
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup light or fat free mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped mint (I personally don’t care for mint, so I use parsley and it comes out great. Mint and lamb however, are a great combo)
- 4 whole wheat hamburger rolls
- burger fixins’ (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle - whatever you like!)
- Mix the lamb, onion, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl. Shape into 4 burgers. Spray a nonstick grill pan, or skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium high heat.
- Cook the burgers until browned on the outside and done to taste (4-5 minutes PER SIDE for medium, 6-7 for well). Try to flip the burgers only once during cooking to avoid losing too much “juice”.
- Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and mint in a small bowl. Spread this mixture onto the buns, then add your burger and toppings.
Alternative Method: Oven-Baked Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise
If you prefer the convenience of using an oven, you can still achieve flavorful and juicy grilled lamb burgers. Follow this alternative method to prepare oven-baked Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise:
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 burger buns
For the Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground lamb, breadcrumbs, red onion, minced garlic, parsley, cumin, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix the ingredients thoroughly but avoid overworking the meat.
- Divide the lamb mixture into four equal portions and shape each portion into a patty, approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Place the lamb patties on the prepared baking sheet and transfer them to the preheated oven.
- Bake the lamb burgers for about 15-20 minutes, or until they reach your desired level of doneness. For medium-rare, aim for an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C), while medium should be around 160°F (71°C).
- While the lamb burgers are baking, prepare the lemon-garlic mayonnaise. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine all the ingredients, creating a tangy and aromatic mayo.
- Once the lamb burgers are cooked to perfection, remove them from the oven and allow them to rest for a few minutes.
- Assemble the lamb burgers on the burger buns, generously spreading the lemon-garlic mayonnaise on each side. Feel free to add additional toppings such as lettuce, tomato slices, or red onion for added freshness and crunch.
- Serve the oven-baked grilled lamb burgers immediately and savor the flavorful combination of tender lamb, zesty mayo, and your favorite burger accompaniments.
By using the oven to bake the lamb burgers, you can enjoy the convenience of indoor cooking while still achieving a delicious grilled flavor. Enjoy your oven-baked Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise!
To ensure your Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise turn out perfectly every time, here are some valuable cooking tips and tricks that will elevate your culinary skills. Additionally, I’ll share insights on common mistakes to avoid, ensuring a seamless cooking experience.
- Achieving the perfect patty: When forming the lamb patties, avoid overworking the meat. Gently shape them into thick, even-sized rounds to prevent them from becoming tough. Press a slight indentation in the center of each patty to ensure even cooking and minimize shrinkage.
- Preheating the grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat before placing the lamb patties on the grates. This will ensure a nicely seared exterior and juicy interior. A hot grill will also help prevent the patties from sticking to the grates.
- Letting the meat rest: After grilling the lamb patties to your desired doneness, resist the temptation to dig in immediately. Allow the burgers to rest for a few minutes, tented with foil, to allow the juices to redistribute. This will result in a more flavorful and tender burger.
- Perfecting the lemon-garlic mayo: When preparing the lemon-garlic mayonnaise, use freshly squeezed lemon juice for maximum flavor. Ensure the garlic is finely minced or grated to evenly infuse its aromatic essence into the mayo. For an extra punch, add a pinch of lemon zest to amplify the citrus notes.
- Monitoring the cooking time: Keep a close eye on the lamb patties as they cook. Overcooking them can lead to dry burgers. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature for your desired level of doneness. Aim for around 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare and 160°F (71°C) for medium.
Now that your Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise are ready to be devoured, let’s explore some delightful serving suggestions that will enhance your culinary experience. These recommendations will elevate the flavors and offer a variety of ways to enjoy this delectable dish.
- Fresh and crisp sides: Serve your lamb burgers alongside a refreshing green salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette or a medley of roasted vegetables. The vibrant and light flavors of the sides will perfectly complement the richness of the lamb.
- Mediterranean-inspired feast: Create a Mediterranean-inspired feast by serving the Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise in warm pita bread or flatbread. Top them with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and a dollop of tangy tzatziki sauce. This combination will transport your taste buds to the shores of the Mediterranean.
- Dipping sauces galore: Prepare an array of dipping sauces to accompany your lamb burgers. Offer options like spicy harissa sauce, creamy feta cheese dip, or a vibrant herb-infused aioli. These flavorful sauces will add an extra layer of indulgence to each bite.
- Beverage pairings: Complement the robust flavors of the lamb burgers with a refreshing beverage. Opt for a crisp and citrusy white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or a light-bodied rosé. For non-alcoholic alternatives, consider sparkling water infused with fresh mint and lemon or a fruity iced tea.
- Brunch twist: Transform your Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise into a delectable brunch treat by serving them on toasted English muffins or brioche buns. Top each patty with a perfectly fried egg and a sprinkle of fresh herbs. This combination of savory and breakfast elements will create an unforgettable brunch experience.
Can I store the leftover Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise?
Absolutely! Store any leftover Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them gently on a grill or stovetop to retain their juiciness.
Can I substitute the lamb with another type of meat?
While lamb adds a unique flavor profile, you can certainly substitute it with ground beef, turkey, or chicken if desired. Adjust the cooking time accordingly based on the meat you choose.
Can I grill the lamb burgers indoors?
Yes, you can grill the lamb burgers indoors using a grill pan or a stovetop grill. Preheat the pan or grill over medium-high heat and follow the same cooking instructions as for an outdoor grill.
Can I freeze the uncooked lamb patties?
Absolutely! Shape the lamb patties and layer them between sheets of parchment paper before placing them in a freezer-safe container. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator before grilling.
Can I make the lemon-garlic mayo ahead of time?
Certainly! The lemon-garlic mayo can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just give it a good stir before using it to ensure the flavors are well incorporated.
Elevate your grilling game with our mouthwatering Grilled Lamb Burgers with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise. Follow our step-by-step instructions and cooking tips for perfectly juicy burgers. Join our community by sharing the recipe and subscribing to our blog for more delectable creations.