Healthy Breakfast Burrito is a great “make and take” meal for those busy mornings when you just can’t seem to get moving on time. If you wrap one end in a paper towel, you can eat it on your commute without making a mess (or hand one to the kids as they’re heading out the door for the school bus). When those days strike, you don’t have to stop at the doughnut shop or fast food drive-thru; this healthy breakfast can be whipped up quickly, and will still have you getting to the office on time without denying yourself the benefits of a healthy, low calorie, nutritious breakfast.
Healthy Breakfast Burrito
- 1 nonstick pan
- 1 food processor or blender
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
For the Salsa Verde:
- 1 can tomatillos (or 6 medium tomatillos, or plum tomatoes cut into quarters)
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped
- ½ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- juice ½ lime
- ⅛ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites together well and then season with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the eggs and let them cook for 1-2 minutes (or until just barely set.) Using a spatula, gently stir until eggs are just cooked.
- For the salsa: Place all ingredients in food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. You may need to add up to additional 1/8 cup water to thin the sauce to your desired consistency.
- Heat tortillas for about 30-45 seconds in the microwave. Distribute the scrambled eggs evenly among tortillas and top with the salsa and cheese.
Preparing a delicious Healthy Breakfast Burrito requires a little finesse and attention to detail. In this section, I’ll share some invaluable cooking tips and tricks that will help you achieve the best results. I’ll also highlight common mistakes to avoid, ensuring that your burrito turns out perfectly every time.
- Choose the Right Tortilla: Opt for a sturdy and flexible tortilla, such as whole wheat or spinach, to hold all the delicious fillings without tearing or falling apart.
- Properly Cook the Eggs: For fluffy and moist scrambled eggs, cook them slowly over medium-low heat. Avoid overcooking to prevent dryness.
- Don’t Overstuff: While it’s tempting to fill your burrito to the brim, be mindful not to overstuff it. This can lead to a messy and difficult-to-eat burrito. Aim for a balanced filling-to-tortilla ratio for the best eating experience.
- Warm Tortillas Before Assembling: Warm tortillas are more pliable and easier to work with. Heat them in a dry skillet or microwave for a few seconds before assembling your burrito.
- Proper Folding Technique: To ensure the fillings stay intact, fold in the sides of the tortilla first, then roll it tightly from the bottom up. This technique will prevent any spillage and create a neat and compact burrito.
Serving & Storing Your Healthy Breakfast Burrito
Now that you’ve mastered the art of cooking a Healthy Breakfast Burrito, it’s time to explore the exciting world of serving suggestions. From delectable sides to refreshing beverages, these recommendations will elevate your burrito experience to new heights.
- Complementary Sides and Garnishes: Serve your Healthy Breakfast Burrito with a side of fresh salsa, guacamole, or sour cream to add a burst of flavor. Freshly sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, or crumbled feta cheese also make excellent garnishes.
- Breakfast Bowl Variation: Transform your burrito into a satisfying breakfast bowl by skipping the tortilla and layering the ingredients over a bed of cooked quinoa, brown rice, or mixed greens. Top it off with a drizzle of hot sauce or a dollop of Greek yogurt for an extra kick.
- Pair with a Refreshing Beverage: Quench your thirst and complement the flavors of the burrito with a refreshing beverage. A tall glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, a fruity smoothie, or a cup of hot coffee or tea will perfectly complement your meal.
- Brunch Party Pleaser: Impress your guests by creating a make-your-own Healthy Breakfast Burrito bar. Set out a variety of fillings, toppings, and condiments, along with warm tortillas, and let everyone customize their burritos to their liking.
- Leftover Makeover: If you have any leftover burritos, transform them into a delicious grab-and-go breakfast option. Wrap them tightly in foil and refrigerate. When ready to enjoy, simply reheat in the oven or microwave for a quick and satisfying meal.
As a food blogger, I’ve received numerous questions about preparing Healthy Breakfast Burritos. In this section, I’ll address the most common queries and provide you with the answers you need to ensure a smooth and enjoyable cooking experience. Don’t forget to check out the bonus tip on storing any leftovers!
Can I make Healthy Breakfast Burritos ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare the components in advance and assemble the burritos when needed. Store the fillings and tortillas separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. When ready, simply reheat the fillings and assemble the burritos.
Can I freeze Healthy Breakfast Burritos?
Yes, you can freeze Healthy Breakfast Burritos for future use. Wrap each burrito tightly in foil or plastic wrap, place them in a freezer-safe bag, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
How do I reheat leftover burritos?
To reheat leftover burritos, unwrap them from foil or plastic wrap and place them on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on medium power for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15-20 minutes.
Can I make Healthy Breakfast Burritos vegan or vegetarian?
Absolutely! You can easily customize the fillings to suit your dietary preferences. Swap the eggs for tofu scramble or use plant-based protein alternatives such as tempeh or black beans. Load up on veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, and spinach for added flavor and nutrition.
Can I use different types of tortillas for Healthy Breakfast Burritos?
Certainly! While traditional flour tortillas work well, you can experiment with different varieties like whole wheat, spinach, or gluten-free tortillas. Choose the ones that best suit your taste and dietary needs.
Embark on a flavorful journey as we explore the secrets to crafting a perfect Healthy Breakfast Burrito. With insightful cooking tips, creative serving suggestions, and answers to common FAQs, this guide has everything you need. Share this incredible recipe with others and make sure to subscribe to our blog for more culinary inspiration.