These nutty, chewy, Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares, portable snacking. Not only are they extremely yummy, low in calories, and low in fat – they are actually good for you. The ingredients offer a host of nutritional benefits, and unlike store bought snack bars, they contain no preservatives, funny chemicals, hydrogenated fats, or artificial ingredients. You can feel free to snack with abandon!! Just be fair and share them with the kids (or make a double batch and have a stash all to yourself)!
Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares
- 1 13 x 9 inch baking dish
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 cup Grape Nuts type cereal (like seven in the morning cereal, etc)
- ¾ cup oats (I use old-fashioned, but quick oats would work)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1½ tablespoons wheat germ
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts
- ½ cup mixed dried fruit, chopped (raisins, cherries, apricots, etc)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 ounces nonfat yogurt (plain or flavored)
- 1 large egg
- 1 additional egg white
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine cereal, oats, whole wheat flour, flax seeds, wheat germ, nuts, fruit, chocolate chips, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once they have cooled slightly, cut into 12 squares, and allow them to finish cooling before removing them from the baking dish.
To ensure that your Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares turn out irresistibly delicious every time, here are some valuable cooking tips and insights to guide you through the process. Learn tricks to achieve the best results and avoid common mistakes that can affect the texture and flavor of these delectable squares.
Tips and Tricks for Best Results:
- Measure ingredients accurately, especially the oats, to maintain the desired texture. Use a kitchen scale or level off the measuring cup to ensure accuracy.
- Allow the oat mixture to rest for a few minutes before spreading it into the baking pan. This allows the oats to absorb moisture evenly and results in a chewy texture.
- For an extra burst of flavor, lightly toast the nuts before incorporating them into the batter. This step enhances their natural oils and adds a delightful aroma.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease it to prevent the squares from sticking and make them easier to remove once baked.
Common Mistakes to Avoid:
- Avoid overmixing the batter once the dry ingredients are added. Overmixing can lead to dense squares instead of the desired chewy texture.
- Do not overbake the squares; they should still have a slightly soft center when you remove them from the oven. Remember, they will continue to firm up as they cool.
- Let the squares cool completely in the pan before cutting them into squares. This allows them to set properly and avoids crumbling.
By following these tips and avoiding common mistakes, you’ll be well on your way to mastering the art of baking these Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares.
Once you’ve baked these scrumptious Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares to perfection, it’s time to explore the many delightful ways to serve and enjoy them. From pairing them with complementary sides and garnishes to discovering creative serving ideas, let’s dive into the world of serving suggestions that will enhance your experience with these delectable squares.
Complementary Sides, Garnishes, and Beverages:
To complement the flavors of your Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares, consider serving them with a few delightful accompaniments. Here are some suggestions:
- A dollop of Greek yogurt or a drizzle of honey on top of each square adds a creamy and slightly sweet touch.
- Fresh berries, such as raspberries or strawberries, make a vibrant and refreshing addition.
- A sprinkle of chopped nuts, like almonds or walnuts, not only adds a lovely crunch but also enhances the nuttiness in the squares.
- A light dusting of powdered sugar over the top provides an elegant finishing touch.
- Pair these squares with a cup of hot coffee, a glass of cold milk, or even a soothing cup of herbal tea for a delightful beverage pairing.
Creative Serving Ideas:
While these Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares are delightful on their own, you can get creative with how you serve them. Consider these ideas:
- Transform them into a decadent dessert by topping each square with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of warm chocolate sauce.
- Create a mouthwatering parfait by layering crumbled squares, Greek yogurt, and fresh fruit in a glass.
- Cut the squares into smaller bite-sized pieces and serve them as a sweet finger food at parties or gatherings.
- Use them as a base for a delicious ice cream sandwich by sandwiching a scoop of your favorite ice cream between two squares.
Experiment with these serving suggestions and let your imagination run wild. The versatility of these Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares opens up a world of possibilities for delightful presentations.
FAQs about Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares
As you embark on your journey to create these delectable Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares, you might have a few questions in mind. Here are answers to some commonly asked questions to provide you with all the information you need for a successful baking experience.
How should I store any leftovers?
If you have any leftover Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For extended freshness, you can refrigerate them for up to a week. Simply place them in a sealed container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
Can I freeze Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares?
Absolutely! These Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares freeze well, making them a convenient treat to have on hand. Ensure they are completely cooled before freezing. Wrap individual squares tightly in plastic wrap, place them in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator or at room temperature before enjoying.
Can I use gluten-free oats for Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares?
Yes, you can use gluten-free oats to make these squares suitable for a gluten-free diet. Just ensure that all other ingredients you use are also gluten-free to maintain the integrity of the recipe.
Can I make these squares without nuts?
Absolutely! If you have a nut allergy or simply prefer not to include nuts, you can omit them from the recipe. The squares will still turn out delicious with the chocolate chips and oatmeal as the star ingredients.
Craving a sweet treat that’s both delicious and nutritious? Look no further than our Healthy Chocolate Chip and Nut Oatmeal Squares. With insider cooking tips, serving suggestions that will elevate your experience, and answers to commonly asked questions, this blog post is your go-to guide for baking success. Share the recipe and subscribe to our blog to stay connected with our latest culinary creations!