The easy tropical salsa can double as a great low-fat dip for baked tortilla chips, or a as a topping for quesadillas. If you are not a fan of fruit salsas, just use your favorite homemade or store bought salsa in it’s place. These Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa are filling enough to stand alone for lunch, but if you are serving them for dinner, pair them with a side of traditional rice and beans for a delicious Mexican meal. And with the calories you’ll save by making this healthy version, you can keep the fiesta going by treating yourself to an ice cold margarita!! YUM!!
Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa
- 2 medium sized bowl
- 1 large nonstick skillet
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 pound flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tomato, chopped into large chunks
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce or liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large mango chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion plus 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Combine the mango, plum tomato, chopped onion, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice in a medium sized bowl; toss well to mix and set aside.
- Combine the steak, chili powder, coriander and oregano in another bowl; turn the meat to coat it with the spices.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the steak, sliced onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and worcestershire. Cook stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomato chunks, and cook until the steak is done to taste (about 1 more minute for medium-rare, longer if you like your steak more well done). Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice.
- Mound 1/4 of the beef mixture in a strip down the center of each tortilla; fold the bottom “flap” up over the filling, and then fold the two side over. Serve with the mango salsa on the side.
Mastering the art of cooking Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa requires a few insider tips and tricks. By following these pointers, you’ll ensure the best results and avoid common pitfalls that can hinder the flavor and texture of this fantastic dish.
- Marinating Magic: The key to tender and flavorful beef is allowing it to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight. This step allows the spices to penetrate the meat, resulting in a burst of deliciousness with every bite.
- Perfectly Grilled Beef: To achieve that mouthwatering char and smoky flavor, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Make sure to oil the grates before placing the marinated beef on them. Grill the strips of beef for about 3-4 minutes per side until they reach your desired level of doneness.
- Slicing for Succulence: When it’s time to assemble the fajitas, remember to slice the grilled beef against the grain. This technique ensures tenderness and makes each bite a delightfully juicy experience.
- Balancing the Heat: Adjust the spice level of your marinade by adding more or less chili powder and cayenne pepper to suit your taste preferences. Remember, you can always start with a smaller amount and add more if desired.
Now that your Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa are ready to be devoured, let’s explore some fantastic ways to serve and enhance this already delightful dish. From side dishes to garnishes and beverages, there are endless possibilities for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Recommended Sides and Garnishes: Serve your Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa with warm tortillas, homemade guacamole, tangy sour cream, and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. For a healthier twist, pair them with a refreshing mixed green salad or charred corn on the cob.
- Creative Serving Ideas: Take your fajitas to the next level by assembling them as a build-your-own-taco bar. Set out an array of toppings such as diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, pickled jalapeños, and crunchy lettuce. Let everyone customize their fajitas according to their tastes.
- Beverage Pairings: Complement the bold flavors of the fajitas with a refreshing beverage. Serve them alongside a chilled glass of homemade agua fresca, a zesty margarita, or a crisp Mexican lager. The refreshing drinks will balance the smoky and tangy notes of the dish.
FAQs about Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa
As you prepare to make your Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa, here are some frequently asked questions that may arise. Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered with answers and additional tips to ensure a seamless cooking experience.
Can I prepare the marinade in advance?
Absolutely! In fact, preparing the marinade a day ahead allows the flavors to meld together, resulting in an even more delicious dish. Simply store the marinade in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
How do I store leftovers of Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa?
If you have any leftovers, store the cooked beef and mango salsa separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. They can be kept for up to 3-4 days. When reheating, gently heat the beef to retain its tenderness and serve it with fresh mango salsa.
Can I use a different protein instead of beef?
Certainly! This recipe works well with chicken, shrimp, or even tofu for a vegetarian option. Adjust the cooking time accordingly based on the protein you choose.
Are there any alternatives for mango salsa?
If you’re not a fan of mango or it’s not readily available, you can substitute it with pineapple salsa for a tropical twist or a classic pico de gallo for a tangy kick. Both options will complement the flavors of the beef fajitas beautifully.
Can I make this recipe indoors if I don’t have a grill?
Absolutely! If you don’t have access to a grill, you can achieve similar results by using a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet. Heat the pan over medium-high heat and cook the beef strips just as you would on a grill, ensuring they get those lovely grill marks.
Immerse yourself in a culinary adventure with our tantalizing Light Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa. Unleash the grilling prowess within you and master the art of creating tender and flavorful beef fajitas. Dive into our cooking tips, serving suggestions, and FAQs to ensure a memorable dining experience. Don’t keep this recipe to yourself – share it and become part of our blog community!