Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo is somewhat of a “short-cut” version of traditional Fra Diavlo. It comes together really quickly, so it makes a great choice for a weeknight meal. You can vary the amount of heat in this meal by increasing or decreasing the amount of hot pepper to suit your taste. Paired with a salad and some nice warm whole wheat garlic bread, this dish makes a fantastic mid-week meal.
Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo
- 1 large skillet
- 1 plate
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti, fettuccine, or linguine
- 1½ pounds fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp (if using frozen, thaw first)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large jar pasta sauce (24-26 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or hot sauce
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. While the pasta cooks, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked through (about 2 minutes per side).
- Transfer the shrimp to a plate; add the pasta sauce to the skillet and heat through (about 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally).
- Drain the pasta and return it to the empty pot: then stir in the heated pasta sauce, shrimp and pepper or hot sauce, and stir well to combine.
- Place the pot over low heat until everything is warmed through (about 1 - 2 minutes).
Alternative Method: Pressure Cooker
For those who love the convenience and speed of pressure cooking, you can still enjoy the mouthwatering flavors of Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo using this kitchen appliance. The pressure cooker will tenderize the shrimp and infuse them with the fiery sauce in no time. Here’s a step-by-step guide to preparing this dish using a pressure cooker:
- 1 pound (450g) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces/400g) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, to balance the acidity)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Set your pressure cooker to the sauté function and heat the olive oil. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, sautéing until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken or vegetable broth, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and sugar (if using). Stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Gently place the shrimp into the pressure cooker, ensuring they are evenly distributed in the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Close the pressure cooker lid securely and set it to cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, carefully release the pressure according to your pressure cooker’s instructions. Be cautious of the hot steam.
- Open the lid and give the shrimp a gentle stir to coat them in the flavorful sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo over a bed of linguine or your preferred pasta. Garnish with fresh parsley for a pop of freshness and color.
With the help of a pressure cooker, you can enjoy tender shrimp and a robust sauce in a fraction of the time it takes for traditional stovetop cooking. This alternative method offers convenience without compromising on taste. So, fire up your pressure cooker and get ready to savor a sensational Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo.
Achieving the perfect Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo requires attention to detail and some handy tips and tricks. Let’s dive into the cooking tips to ensure the best results and learn from common mistakes to avoid.
Offer tips and tricks to ensure the best results:
To ensure tender and succulent shrimp, avoid overcooking them. Shrimp cook quickly, so keep a close eye on them and remove them from the heat as soon as they turn pink and opaque. Overcooked shrimp can become rubbery and lose their delicate flavor. Additionally, make sure the oil in your pan is hot before adding the shrimp to achieve that beautiful sear and prevent them from sticking.
Share insights on common mistakes to avoid:
One common mistake when preparing Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo is overcrowding the pan. Cook the shrimp in batches if needed to ensure they have enough space to cook evenly and develop a nice caramelized crust. Another pitfall to watch out for is over-reducing the sauce. While a thick and rich sauce is desirable, be mindful not to cook it for too long, as it can become overly concentrated and overpower the dish. Keep an eye on the consistency and adjust by adding a splash of broth or water if needed.
The Best Ways To Serve And Enjoy Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo
Enhance your dining experience with these delightful serving suggestions for Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo. Let’s explore the best accompaniments and creative ways to present this flavorful dish.
Recommend sides, garnishes, or beverages that complement the flavors:
To complement the bold flavors of Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo, consider serving it with a side of garlic-infused sautéed spinach or a refreshing arugula salad dressed with lemon vinaigrette. The vibrant green vegetables will provide a refreshing contrast to the spicy shrimp. Additionally, a slice of crusty bread or garlic knots can help soak up the delicious sauce. For a beverage pairing, a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc or a crisp sparkling water with a squeeze of lime will balance the heat and enhance the overall dining experience.
Suggest different ways to serve the dish:
While Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo is traditionally served over linguine, don’t be afraid to get creative with your presentation. Consider serving it over creamy polenta for a comforting twist or alongside a mound of fluffy jasmine rice for a fusion-inspired meal. Alternatively, you can serve the shrimp and sauce in individual ramekins, topped with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs, and serve them with crusty bread for dipping. The possibilities are endless, so let your culinary imagination run wild!
Can I make Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to enjoy the dish, simply reheat the sauce on the stovetop and cook the shrimp fresh for the best texture and flavor.
Can I substitute the shrimp with another protein?
Certainly! If you prefer a different protein, such as chicken or tofu, feel free to experiment and adapt the recipe according to your preferences. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, ensuring the protein is fully cooked before serving.
How can I store leftovers?
If you have any leftovers of Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When reheating, gently warm the shrimp and sauce on the stovetop over low heat to prevent overcooking. Note that the texture of the shrimp may slightly change upon reheating.
Is Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo gluten-free?
The base recipe for Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo is gluten-free. However, please check the specific ingredients you use, such as the brand of tomato sauce or pasta, to ensure they are gluten-free if you have dietary restrictions.
Can I adjust the level of spiciness?
Absolutely! The level of spiciness can be adjusted to suit your preferences. Increase or decrease the amount of red pepper flakes used in the recipe to achieve your desired heat level. Remember to start with a smaller amount and add more gradually, tasting as you go, to avoid making the dish overly spicy.
Take your taste buds on a fiery adventure with our Low Calorie Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavlo recipe. Learn how to avoid common cooking mistakes, explore serving suggestions that complement the flavors, and don’t miss the opportunity to share this delectable recipe and subscribe to our blog for future culinary inspiration.