Low Calorie Lemon Muffins are less sweet and much more lemony than the previous Lemon Poppy Seed muffins. They actually make for a wonderful light, refreshing dessert, as well as a fantastic breakfast or snack muffin. If you want them really, really lemony, use the baking method from the Jam Filled Muffins, and add a spoonful of lemon curd inside each muffin!
Low Calorie Lemon Muffins
- muffin tins
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 separate bowl
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd (available with the jams and jellies at the supermarket)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind (feel free to add more if you want your muffins really lemony!)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 carton fat free or low fat lemon yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and generously spray a 6 cup jumbo (or 12 cup standard) muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the lemon curd, lemon rind, lemon juice, egg, egg whites and yogurt; stir well with a whisk to combine.
- Make a “well” in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients to the “well”. Stir until everything in just moistened. Divide the batter evenly between each of the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean). Allow the muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Alternative Method: Air Fryer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C) for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk, lemon juice, vegetable oil, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Grease the air fryer basket or line it with parchment paper or silicone liners to prevent sticking.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the prepared air fryer basket, filling each cavity about two-thirds full.
- Place the basket in the preheated air fryer and cook the muffins for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the muffins from the air fryer and let them cool in the basket for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, serve the delicious Low Calorie Lemon Muffins and enjoy!
Note: Cooking times may vary depending on the model and brand of your air fryer. It’s recommended to keep an eye on the muffins during the cooking process to ensure they don’t overcook.
This alternative method allows you to enjoy the tangy goodness of Low Calorie Lemon Muffins without using a traditional oven. The air fryer provides a quick and convenient way to bake these delectable treats, resulting in moist and fluffy muffins with a delightful citrus flavor.
To ensure your Low Calorie Lemon Muffins turn out to be the epitome of citrusy perfection, we’ve compiled some valuable cooking tips and insights to guide you through the baking process. By following these tips and avoiding common mistakes, you’ll be well on your way to muffin mastery.
- Use Fresh Lemon Juice and Zest: For the ultimate burst of tangy flavor, always use freshly squeezed lemon juice and grated lemon zest. Bottled juice may lack the vibrant taste and natural acidity of fresh lemons. Zesting the lemons directly into the batter will infuse the muffins with the essence of lemon, adding an aromatic element to each bite.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: When combining the dry and wet ingredients, be cautious not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can lead to dense and tough muffins. Stir just until the ingredients are incorporated, leaving some lumps. This will result in light and fluffy muffins with a tender crumb.
- Proper Baking Time and Temperature: To achieve perfectly baked Low Calorie Lemon Muffins, it’s crucial to follow the recommended baking time and temperature. Overbaking can result in dry muffins, while underbaking may lead to a gooey texture. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of a muffin – it should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
When it comes to serving the delightful Low Calorie Lemon Muffins, there are endless possibilities to explore. Whether you’re planning a leisurely brunch, hosting a tea party, or simply looking for a sweet treat, these zesty muffins are a versatile choice. Let’s dive into some serving suggestions that will elevate your enjoyment of this citrusy delight.
Perfect Occasions and Target Audience:
Low Calorie Lemon Muffins are perfect for various occasions. They make a delightful addition to a weekend brunch, a refreshing treat for afternoon tea, or a sweet surprise for a potluck gathering. These muffins will win the hearts of both adults and children with their tangy yet subtly sweet flavors.
Complementary Sides, Garnishes, and Beverages:
To enhance the flavors of your Low Calorie Lemon Muffins, consider serving them with a dollop of whipped cream or a dusting of powdered sugar. The creaminess and sweetness will beautifully balance the tanginess of the muffins. For an elegant touch, garnish each muffin with a thin slice of lemon or a sprinkle of lemon zest. As for beverages, pair these muffins with a cup of hot herbal tea, iced lemonade, or a zesty citrus-infused iced tea for a refreshing combination.
Creative Serving Ideas:
While Low Calorie Lemon Muffins are delightful on their own, you can explore creative ways to serve them. For a brunch spread, arrange the muffins on a tiered cake stand alongside other breakfast favorites like freshly cut fruit, yogurt parfaits, and mini quiches. If you’re hosting a tea party, present the muffins on a dainty platter alongside a selection of tea sandwiches and scones. For a casual gathering, set up a make-your-own muffin bar with various toppings like honey, fruit preserves, and nut butters, allowing guests to customize their muffins as they please.
FAQs about Low Calorie Lemon Muffins
As passionate bakers, we understand that you may have some burning questions about Low Calorie Lemon Muffins. Fear not! We’ve got you covered with answers to the most frequently asked questions. Let’s address these queries and ensure you have a seamless baking experience.
Can I store leftovers?
Absolutely! Once cooled, store any leftover Low Calorie Lemon Muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. For longer storage, you can freeze the muffins individually in freezer-safe bags or containers for up to three months. Thaw them at room temperature or gently warm them in the oven before enjoying.
Can I substitute the lemon juice with bottled juice?
While fresh lemon juice is highly recommended for its vibrant flavor, you can use bottled lemon juice as a substitute if fresh lemons are not available. However, keep in mind that the flavor may not be as pronounced, so adjust the quantity according to your taste preference.
Can I make these muffins gluten-free?
Certainly! You can adapt this recipe to be gluten-free by using a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend. Ensure the blend contains binder ingredients such as xanthan gum or guar gum to maintain the structure of the muffins.
Can I add other ingredients to the batter?
Absolutely! Feel free to get creative and experiment with additional ingredients. You can add a handful of blueberries, raspberries, or poppy seeds to the batter for extra bursts of flavor and texture. Just be mindful that the moisture content and baking time may vary with these additions
Can I use a different citrus fruit instead of lemons?
Certainly! While this recipe focuses on the tangy goodness of lemons, you can experiment with other citrus fruits like limes or oranges. Keep in mind that the flavor profile may differ slightly, so adjust the quantities accordingly to achieve the desired taste.
In this comprehensive blog post, you’ll discover the secrets to creating the most delightful Low Calorie Lemon Muffins. From cooking tips to serving suggestions, we’ve got you covered. Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family, and be sure to subscribe to our blog for more delicious culinary adventures!