If you’re on the quest for the ultimate chocolate indulgence, search no further. Our Mocha Chocolate Cake is a masterpiece that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you yearning for another slice. This recipe unveils the secrets to creating a moist, tender chocolate cake infused with the bold flavors of coffee. Whether you’re a veteran baker or a novice in the kitchen, this easy-to-follow guide will equip you with the skills to create a dessert that will impress even the most discerning chocolate connoisseurs.
Mocha Chocolate Cake
- 1 9 by 13 inch cake pan
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 separate large mixing bowl
- 1 electric hand mixer
For the cake:
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch processed)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 whole eggs plus 2 additional egg whites
- 1½ cups fat free plain or vanilla yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (use a high quality chocolate)
For the frosting:
- 1 package light (or Neufchatel) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon coffee liqueur or pure vanilla extract
- 2 additional squares high quality dark chocolate, optional (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously spray a 9 by 13 inch cake pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl (if there are any lumps of cocoa powder, you may want to sift the ingredients through a mesh strainer).
- In a separate large mixing bowl whisk together the melted butter and the oil; then whisk in the eggs and egg whites. Once combined, fold in the yogurt, vanilla, sugar and dissolved espresso powder. Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 90 seconds and then fold the melted chocolate into batter.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean). Remove the cake to cool completely in the pan.
- While the cake cools, make the frosting:Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until soft and creamy. Once the cake is cool, spread the frosting evenly over the entire top of the cake.
- Finely grate the chocolate and sprinkle the shavings over the cake for garnish, if desired. Cut into squares to serve.
Alternative Method: Instant Pot
If you’re looking for a quick and efficient way to prepare the Mocha Chocolate Cake, the Instant Pot is an excellent kitchen appliance to use. Follow this alternative method to achieve moist and decadent results:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup brewed coffee, cooled
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, brewed coffee, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring well after each addition, until a smooth batter forms.
- Grease a heatproof cake pan that fits inside the Instant Pot with cooking spray or butter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot, and place the trivet inside. Carefully lower the cake pan onto the trivet.
- Close the Instant Pot lid, ensuring the pressure valve is set to the sealing position. Select the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” function and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then perform a quick release to release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the cake pan from the Instant Pot using oven mitts or tongs. Let the cake cool completely before removing it from the pan.
- Frost the cake with your desired frosting, such as a rich chocolate ganache or a creamy coffee-flavored buttercream.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy the moist and flavorful Instant Pot Mocha Chocolate Cake!
Note: Cooking times may vary depending on the size and model of your Instant Pot. Always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific appliance.
To ensure the best results with your Mocha Chocolate Cake, it’s essential to pay attention to certain cooking tips and avoid common mistakes. Here are some valuable insights to help you achieve cake perfection:
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure your eggs, butter, and other ingredients are at room temperature before beginning the baking process. This allows for better incorporation and a smoother batter.
- Properly Measure Your Ingredients: Accurate measurements are crucial for baking success. Use measuring cups and spoons specifically designed for dry and liquid ingredients, respectively, to ensure precision.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: Overmixing can result in a dense and tough cake. Mix the ingredients until they are just combined, and avoid excessive stirring.
- Test for Doneness: Insert a toothpick or a cake tester into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, the cake is ready. Avoid overbaking, as it can lead to a dry texture.
- Allow the Cake to Cool Completely: Patience is key! Let your Mocha Chocolate Cake cool completely in the pan or on a wire rack before frosting or serving. This prevents the frosting from melting and ensures a neater presentation.
The Best Ways To Serve And Enjoy Mocha Chocolate Cake
Now that you have your delicious Mocha Chocolate Cake ready, it’s time to explore different ways to serve and elevate its flavors. Here are some serving suggestions to delight your taste buds:
- Recommend Sides, Garnishes, or Beverages: Pair your Mocha Chocolate Cake with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream or a dollop of freshly whipped cream. The contrasting temperatures and textures create a delightful combination. Additionally, consider serving it with a side of fresh berries or a drizzle of chocolate sauce for added indulgence.
- Explore Different Ways to Serve: Get creative with your presentation! Cut the cake into individual portions and serve them on dessert plates. Alternatively, you can slice the cake horizontally, add a layer of whipped cream or fruit preserve in between, and assemble it back for a showstopping layered cake. Decorate the top with chocolate curls or a dusting of cocoa powder for an elegant touch.
- Make it a Decadent Sundae: Transform your Mocha Chocolate Cake into a decadent sundae by layering it with chocolate sauce, crushed cookies, and a generous scoop of your favorite ice cream flavor. Top it off with whipped cream and a cherry for a truly indulgent treat.
Can I make the Mocha Chocolate Cake in advance?
Absolutely! The cake can be made a day in advance. Once cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container at room temperature. However, it is best to frost the cake just before serving to maintain its freshness.
How should I store any leftovers?
If you have any leftovers, store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. Alternatively, you can refrigerate it for extended freshness, but allow it to come to room temperature before serving to restore its soft texture.
Can I freeze the Mocha Chocolate Cake?
Yes, you can freeze the cake for up to three months. Ensure it is tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed in a freezer-safe container. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Can I substitute ingredients in the recipe?
While we recommend following the recipe for the best results, you can make some substitutions. For example, you can use brewed decaf coffee instead of regular coffee or replace some of the butter with vegetable oil for a slightly lighter texture. However, keep in mind that ingredient substitutions may affect the taste and texture of the final cake.
How can I make the cake more indulgent?
To make the Mocha Chocolate Cake even more indulgent, consider adding a layer of chocolate ganache between the cake layers or incorporating chocolate chips into the batter for extra bursts of chocolate goodness. You can also drizzle caramel sauce or sprinkle chopped nuts on top for added decadence.
Experience pure chocolatey bliss with our divine Mocha Chocolate Cake recipe. From cooking tips to creative serving suggestions, we’ve got you covered. Discover the answers to common questions and take a step towards becoming a dessert expert. Share the recipe and subscribe to our blog to stay connected and receive more delectable recipes.