This is a quick and easy dinner to prepare on a Friday night – Plus, it’s healthy!! Just be sure to keep an eye on all of your toppings – loading this burrito down will only wind up weighing you down!! Be frugal with the cheese and guacamole – these Skinny Chicken Burritos are delicious even without all of that fat thrown on top.
Skinny Chicken Burritos
- 1 small bowl
- 1 large skillet
- 1 bowl
- 1 13 x 9 baking dish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or peanut oil, if you have it)
- 1 pound chicken breasts (about 4 large), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk*
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice*
- 1 can chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons low sodium tomato paste
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- chopped lettuce, tomato, onion, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, refried beans, low-fat cheese (or whatever other toppings you like on your burritos!)
- *Place the milk in a small bowl and add the vinegar and lemon juice - then set it aside to “curdle”. This is used as a replacement for buttermilk in this recipe. If you prefer, you can purchase low-fat buttermilk from the supermarket and use 1 cup of that instead - but the replacement has fewer calories and works just as well.*
- Preheat the oven to375 degrees. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat for 1 minute; add the chopped chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside (about 5 minutes). Transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the onion and garlic until soft (about 5 minutes), then blend in the flour, chili powder and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the chicken broth, buttermilk replacement, chilies, and tomato paste; reduce the heat to low and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Return the chicken to the skillet and stir.
- Place a scant 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on the lower half of the tortilla and roll it up. Place the seam side down in an ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish and drizzle any remaining filling mixture between the rolls.
- Bake uncovered for 5 minutes and serve.
To ensure the best results with your Skinny Chicken Burritos, here are some valuable cooking tips and tricks. These insights will help you navigate the process smoothly and avoid common mistakes that may compromise the taste and texture of your dish.
- Marinate the chicken: For maximum flavor, marinate the chicken in a blend of spices, herbs, and a touch of lime juice. Allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes or, ideally, overnight in the refrigerator. This step enhances the tenderness and infuses the meat with delicious flavors.
- Optimal cooking temperature: When cooking the chicken, make sure to preheat your skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. This ensures a nice sear on the outside while keeping the inside moist and juicy. Avoid overcrowding the pan to allow the chicken to cook evenly.
- Proper assembly: When filling the burritos, be mindful not to overstuff them, as it may lead to difficulty in wrapping and potential breakage. Leave some space around the edges to facilitate the folding process and ensure a neat and secure burrito.
- The art of wrapping: To achieve a perfectly wrapped burrito, start by folding in the sides over the filling. Then, roll the bottom edge tightly over the filling, tucking it in as you go. Continue rolling until you reach the top edge, creating a compact and well-sealed burrito.
- Toasted tortillas: For an extra touch of flavor and texture, consider toasting the assembled burritos on a griddle or skillet. Lightly brush the surface with olive oil and cook until golden brown and slightly crispy. This step adds a delightful crunch to every bite.
The Best Ways To Serve And Enjoy Skinny Chicken Burritos
To elevate your Skinny Chicken Burritos experience, here are some serving suggestions that will complement the flavors and enhance the overall enjoyment of the dish. From recommended sides to creative ways of serving, these ideas will help you create a memorable meal.
- Recommended sides: Serve your Skinny Chicken Burritos with a refreshing side salad tossed in a zesty lime dressing. The crispness of the greens and the tanginess of the dressing provide a delightful contrast to the warm and savory burritos. Alternatively, opt for a side of Mexican rice or grilled vegetables for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Flavorful garnishes: Sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice over the burritos just before serving. These simple garnishes add a burst of freshness and a vibrant touch to the dish. You can also offer a side of tangy salsa or creamy guacamole for an extra layer of flavor.
- Creative serving ideas: While the traditional method of serving burritos is to present them whole, you can also slice them diagonally into bite-sized portions for a fun and shareable appetizer. Arrange the sliced burritos on a platter and garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges for an attractive presentation.
- Beverage pairings: Complement the bold flavors of the Skinny Chicken Burritos with a refreshing beverage. A classic pairing is a chilled glass of homemade agua fresca, such as watermelon or cucumber-lime. Alternatively, choose a light and crisp Mexican lager or a citrus-infused sparkling water to cleanse the palate.
- Brunch twist: Transform your Skinny Chicken Burritos into a brunch sensation by topping them with a fried or poached egg. The runny yolk adds a luscious element to the dish, creating a satisfying and indulgent morning meal.
Can I make the Skinny Chicken Burritos ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare the chicken filling in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, simply reheat the filling and assemble the burritos.
How do I store leftovers?
If you have any leftover burritos, wrap them tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat them gently in the oven or microwave before enjoying.
Can I use a different protein instead of chicken?
Certainly! While the recipe calls for chicken, you can easily substitute it with grilled shrimp, lean beef, or even tofu for a vegetarian option. Adjust the cooking time accordingly based on the protein you choose.
Are the burritos spicy?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted to your preference. The recipe includes a moderate amount of spices, but you can increase or decrease the heat by adjusting the amount of chili powder or adding hot sauce or sliced jalapeños as desired.
Can I freeze the Skinny Chicken Burritos?
Yes, you can freeze the assembled burritos for future enjoyment. Wrap each burrito tightly in plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and reheat them in the oven or microwave.
Find Answers to Your FAQs about Skinny Chicken Burritos: Get expert advice on making ahead, storing leftovers, and substituting proteins. Discover how to freeze the burritos for future enjoyment. Plus, don’t forget to share the recipe and subscribe to our blog to stay updated with new recipes and cooking tips!