It’s time to treat yourself to a mouthwatering delight! Join me as we dive into the world of Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins. These heavenly creations are the perfect balance of tart rhubarb and juicy strawberries, all wrapped up in a moist and tender muffin. Get your baking essentials ready and let’s whip up a batch of these irresistible treats together.
Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
- 12 cup jumbo muffin tin (or 24 cup standard)
- 1 large bowl
- 1 separate, small bowl
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup fat free sour cream
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and generously grease a 12 cup jumbo (or 24 cup standard) muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sift the flours, sugar, and baking powder together in a large bowl. In a separate, smaller bowl whisk together eggs, milk, oil and sour cream.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Add the rhubarb and strawberries and mix until just incorporated.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Alternative Method: Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a way to make Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins using a different kitchen appliance, why not try using an air fryer? This method yields fantastic results and requires minimal effort. Here’s how you can whip up a batch of these delectable muffins using your trusty air fryer:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, low-fat milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and well blended.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in the chopped strawberries and rhubarb, distributing them evenly throughout the batter.
- Preheat your air fryer to 325°F (163°C) for a few minutes.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper or silicone muffin liners. Spoon the muffin batter into the liners, filling each about three-quarters full.
- Carefully place the filled liners into the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them for air circulation.
- Set the air fryer to 325°F (163°C) and cook the muffins for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove the muffins from the air fryer and let them cool in the liners for a few minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy these delightful Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins straight from your air fryer!
Using the air fryer to make these muffins provides a quick and convenient alternative to traditional baking. The circulating hot air in the air fryer helps achieve a moist and tender texture while creating a slightly crispy exterior. Prepare to be amazed by the delicious results that this innovative method delivers. Happy baking!
To ensure the best results with your Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins, here are some handy cooking tips and tricks to keep in mind:
- Use Fresh Ingredients: Opt for ripe strawberries and crisp rhubarb to maximize the flavors in your muffins. Fresh, high-quality ingredients will make a noticeable difference in the taste and texture of the final product.
- Properly Measure the Ingredients: Accurate measurements are crucial in baking. Use a kitchen scale or measuring cups and spoons to ensure you add the right amount of each ingredient. This will help maintain the balance and consistency of the muffin batter.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, be careful not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can lead to dense and tough muffins. Stir until the ingredients are just combined to achieve a light and fluffy texture.
- Preparing the Rhubarb: If the rhubarb stalks are large and fibrous, peel off the outer layer before chopping them into small pieces. This will help eliminate any stringiness and ensure a tender bite in the muffins.
- Adjust Sweetness to Taste: The sweetness of strawberries can vary, so feel free to adjust the amount of sweetener used in the recipe according to your preference. Taste the batter and add a bit more sweetener if desired, but remember to keep the overall calorie count in mind.
The Best Ways To Serve And Enjoy Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
Now that your Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins are ready to be enjoyed, let’s explore some delightful serving suggestions to enhance your culinary experience:
- Whipped Cream and Fresh Berries: Top each muffin with a dollop of homemade whipped cream and a few fresh strawberries or other berries. This adds a touch of elegance and an extra burst of fruity goodness.
- Vanilla Yogurt Drizzle: Create a delightful contrast by serving your muffins with a drizzle of creamy vanilla yogurt. The tanginess of the yogurt complements the sweet and tart flavors of the muffins perfectly.
- Warm Honey Glaze: Brush a warm honey glaze over the muffins for a glossy finish and a subtle sweetness. This simple addition takes the flavor profile to a whole new level.
- Pair with a Cup of Herbal Tea: Enjoy your muffins with a soothing cup of chamomile or hibiscus tea. The floral notes of the tea beautifully complement the fruity flavors of the muffins.
- Ice Cream Sandwich: Slice the muffins in half horizontally and sandwich a scoop of your favorite low-calorie vanilla or strawberry ice cream between the halves. This creative twist turns your muffins into a delectable dessert.
Can I freeze leftover Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins?
Yes, you can freeze the muffins for up to three months. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container before freezing. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or reheat them in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy them.
How long do these Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins stay fresh?
When stored in an airtight container at room temperature, these muffins will stay fresh for up to three days. For longer shelf life, refrigerate them for up to one week.
Can I replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative?
Absolutely! You can use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend as a one-to-one substitute for the all-purpose flour in this recipe. It will yield equally delicious results.
Can I use frozen strawberries and rhubarb?
Yes, you can use frozen strawberries and rhubarb if fresh ones are not available. Thaw and drain them before incorporating them into the recipe to avoid excess moisture.
Can I reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe?
Yes, you can reduce the amount of sugar to suit your taste or dietary preferences. However, keep in mind that sugar not only adds sweetness but also contributes to the texture and moisture of the muffins. Adjusting the sugar might slightly affect the final result.
Craving a guilt-free treat? Look no further than our Low Calorie Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins. We provide expert cooking tips to ensure the best results and offer creative serving suggestions to complement the flavors. Don’t forget to check out our alternative method using an air fryer for a quick and convenient twist. Share the recipe and subscribe to our blog to stay up to date with our latest mouthwatering creations.